Birth of Dwarf Seahorses

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Vicki

Anemone
As some of you know, besides the clowns, I've developed an interest in seahorses as well.

Though my photography is poor, I managed to capture a few pictures today of a male dwarf seahorse giving birth.

Below are some of the shots:

Dwarf birth is amazing. They pop out like little balls and then unravel into these perfect little replicas of their parents. I've witnessed 3 births but couldn't possibly get pics. Vicky you have great talent! I can never get clear pics of the dwarves ;)

Vicki that is sooooo amazing!

Everyone stay tuned... we are working on a seahorse workshop for a monthly meeting this coming year!

Seahorses are so cool :) I love my babies. Vicky, have you been able to raise your fry to adulthood?? I get to the 2 month mark and then mysteriously they die of unknown causes.... I know they say dwarf babies are easier to raise than other seahorses. I've never had any luck...

Those are good sized fry!! How many did he have?

Great job with the photo's... dwarves and particularly fry are really hard to photograph!

Vicky
(the other Vicky/Vicki with seahorses)

Hey WInk those sea horses are the ones I had, Vicki said she had some already and would love to have some more so I sold them to her, they had babies like every 5 days when they were at my house. they are amazing I cant wait till I can have time to keep some.
By the way Vicki how many do you have total now??

I am glad to see you are enjoying them!!!

Matt

Thanks everyone. It was really neat to witness the birth. He had four babies that I saw, and I do believe I caught it all. Some were head first, some were tail first.

I do wish the pictures would have been clearer, but I am happy that my camera was nearby. Something I'll never forget.

I haven't raised any to adulthood yet, but maybe this batch. The filter has gotten them in the past, plus bristleworms and aipstasia. They're now in the safest tank I have found; a 6 gallon Eclipse with sponge filters and everything was boiled before being put in the tank except for the gorgonia and plants. I'm going to pick up some 'cutsie ornaments' first time I have some free time.

It's difficult to say how many I have in there now. I did pick up some more last week. :D

Vicki

Well, the sponge got a few of the babies overnight.
I thought I had this finally figured out. Guess it's back to the drawing board. :confused:

Matt, where did you get that yellowish sponge filter on the intake tube? Do you recall the brand?

Vicki

This is one of those air foam filters? I would not think they are to powerfull. How big are the babies?
Maybe use a tank dividor to keep the babies away from the filter, they sell them at Petsmart.

Little Luey said:
This is one of those air foam filters? I would not think they are to powerfull. How big are the babies?
Maybe use a tank dividor to keep the babies away from the filter, they sell them at Petsmart.

This is a tightly woven foam sleeve which fits over the intake tube into the filter above. It's an Eclipse tank, with the floss/charcoal filter gadget and a bio wheel returning the water to the tank. Nice little tanks for quarantine and/or fish only.

I'd placed a second layer of foam over the intake foam sleeve, but it apparently wasn't as tightly woven and the babies managed to get stuck in it. Adults have no problem at all with it.

I'll figure something out. I don't really want to take the babies away from the adults. The interaction between them is so sweet. All the adults care for the babies. It's so cute.....

Vicki

I suggest you get an air driven foam filter, I used to bread FW angelfish and the babies were no bigger than a grain of rice, this filter did not pull them in since it is just as strong as your air pump.

I just checked all the foam again, put it back on in two layers, and then put a knee high nylon sock over the top of everything. Unless I get a 'run', they shouldn't be able to work their way though it now.

Vicki

Vicki, what I found works teh best with fry is to take panty hose, cut a strip off and close off the intake for a little bit until they get larger. That worked for me the last time I had fry.

Beckmola24 said:
Vicki, what I found works teh best with fry is to take panty hose, cut a strip off and close off the intake for a little bit until they get larger. That worked for me the last time I had fry.

Thanks Becky! That's basically what I did with the knee high stocking. Even the baby brine shrimp aren't getting sucked up now. Currently there are five adult dwarf seahorses surrounding it checking for BBS. They are very intently watching for any movement. It's so cute!

Vicki

Back