bite out of yellow tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

125g

my yellow tang has a pretty big bite out of it and i want to know who the culprits is. It is either the puffer or my eel can you tell from this picture who may have done this?

Now what kind of eel? I am leaning more towards eel just because puffers normally have more of a flat bite and not so arced....

Good luck.

-augustus

PS. check out LEE's diet and food sticky. Most eels won't take bites out of a tang unless they are really hungry.

Now what kind of eel? I am leaning more towards eel just because puffers normally have more of a flat bite and not so arced....

Good luck.

-augustus

PS. check out LEE's diet and food sticky. Most eels won't take bites out of a tang unless they are really hungry.

its a snowflake eel and he has been pretty aggressive lately because of lack of food i haven't seen him eat since he's been in the new tank and he has been going after the fish when he never did before. But I cant get him to eat... in the old tank i could throw endless amounts of krill in and he'd find the all one after another and eat everything now a piece will fall by his face and he just sits there and i have even tried a feeding with a stick? any suggestions to get him to eat

I'm not sure about the bite...I had a snowflake a few years back and he ate fine for a year. One day I didn't see him...which continued for abou 6 months. Oneday he appeared and I saw him everyday for 3 months but he wuldn't eat. Finally after 9 months he started eating again. They are apparently notorious for this.

its a snowflake eel and he has been pretty aggressive lately because of lack of food i haven't seen him eat since he's been in the new tank and he has been going after the fish when he never did before. But I cant get him to eat... in the old tank i could throw endless amounts of krill in and he'd find the all one after another and eat everything now a piece will fall by his face and he just sits there and i have even tried a feeding with a stick? any suggestions to get him to eat

I would diffidently offer more than just krill. Try clams, shrimp, scallops, squid, silversides... Just like you and me, they really need a staple diet to be healthy.

-augustus

Back to the original post. . .I don't what specific bites out of fishes look like, compared to the fish doing the biting. It isn't a tare and it isn't fin rot. It is definitely something that took a bite out of the fish or, in an attempt to 'hit' the fish, got fin instead of fish.

Back to the original post. . .I don't what specific bites out of fishes look like, compared to the fish doing the biting. It isn't a tare and it isn't fin rot. It is definitely something that took a bite out of the fish or, in an attempt to 'hit' the fish, got fin instead of fish.

I think that goes without saying...

Thank you for being so observant, tcblightning.

The point is that it is a predatory bite. This is not something that a Puffer will do to that size of fish. The only likely predatory fish in the given list is the eel.

I have seen 2 yellow tangs, one at my friends house and one at a dr's office. Both tanks had a porcupine puffer in it and only my friends tank had an eel in it which was a wolf eel. I noticed that both of tangs had good chunks of fin bitten off from the them and the only common culprit I found was the porcupine puffer in both tanks. I am not saying that your porcupine did it for sure but this is what I observed from the 2 different tanks and if I had to guess, i would say it was your porcupine puffer that did that.

Back