biulding a tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bjlind8888

so idk if this is the right forum. but i am interested in a diy tank i wanna make a shallow cube maybe around 50 gallons. i just wanna a lil insite on how to go about doing this.. i have helpd make sumps and all that. but i wanna do acrylic. and i know you use the special glue. but i dont remember wut it was called or where to get it and some heavy duty acrylic... thanks brandon..

i was thinking about this...
1/2
bunch of 10/24 or 8/32 plastic bolts.. (drilled and taped) then glued.. with silicone and maybe some sort of brace... but i dont think the brace would be needed if you could machine it right.

you would have to square the plates... make sure everything is righ..

counter sink or counter bore ither hex head's or button's

ive thought about this as well... let me go to work and ill come home and unload some power

so idk if this is the right forum. but i am interested in a diy tank i wanna make a shallow cube maybe around 50 gallons. i just wanna a lil insite on how to go about doing this.. i have helpd make sumps and all that. but i wanna do acrylic. and i know you use the special glue. but i dont remember wut it was called or where to get it and some heavy duty acrylic... thanks brandon..

Tap Plastics, Weld-ON

ive bin makeing these U/t test stations at work lately.. and since im the fabricator, i dont always get to cut and weld metal..

Ive bin makeing them outta 1/2" thick lexan.

i dont think you have a mechine shop in your bassment... but if you had a bridgeport. you can mill the edge's down, i use 1/4-20's counter sunk...... (the 1/4-20's are also plastic) bevel the sides and corners (in and outside edge)

then what i do is put a small bead of silicone on the mating surface (centered)
A few times i tryed dowl pins but that turned out to just be more work.

push it togther... align the holes and screw it together... i torque em to about 25lbs even..

give it 24 hrs then i come back and run a small bead of silicone with my finger over the inside corner (thats called a fillet weld (90degree angle)

for about 200buck ive made the Co a few 500+g setups.

Back