Black Creeping Coral?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Toolio

ID Help? I recently bought a chunk of live rock with 2 super-colorful ricordia mushrroms on it. (Turned out to be 2 babies also, but don't tell anyone) :) Upon closer examination of the live rock when I got home, I found this weird black coral has seeped out of the crevases. After a few days in QT, this black coral has creeped out about 3 inches and is climbing the glass. There are a few ....... ports/appendages/hollow protruding holes coming out of its (body). Anyone have any idea if this is a BAD coral or if it will be ok? Eventually this piece will go into my mushroom/LPS tank. BTW, this coral does look healthy and alive with no "dead coral smell". (Pew)
Any help would be great, thanks.
P.S. Anyone gonna be attendeing that MASC convention in Ann Arbor, MI this Sat 4-23-05? Hope to see you all there. Can't wait to meet my Hero and mentor, Mr. Anthony Calfo!!!!!!!!!! :D

It would probably be best if you could post some pictures of this strange beast ;), so that we can see exactly what it looks like.

I've never seen or heard of such a coral, pictures would help.

-Eliyah

From your description I would call it a sponge pending photos showing otherwise. I have a nice black sponge that is exactly like you describe. HTH Steve

Sponge?

Hmm, guess it could be a sponge, although I've never seen a sponge like this. This stuff is soft and smooth, like the base of a sarco. It also "acts" more like a coral than a sponge. Sorry, no pics, as 300.00 digi camera has gone missing........
............................Damn wife always "cleaning" up my stuff. My junk pile is organized to my liking....Keep your mitts outta there!!!
:lol: Ahem, realize of course she only gets a "yes dear"......... :)

Back