Black Cyano Algae Grazer Snail

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
ok doods/doodettes
i was looking at some website and all of a sudden i saw that they got black cyano algae snail thingys:confused: , i have never heard of this before and i don't know how long they live or if they really do they job with the cyano??

does anyone know anything about them or if they do the job? or if this is just just another way to try to get attention:p

i don't have cyano :p but it caught my eye :D .

"black cyano algae snail thingys???" What kind of description is that??? LOL. How about a species name so we can all get some??? Okay, to be serious now.....which I do on occassion....any chance of a species name or a link to a page with some info? It'd definately be a great snail to have!!

Having more information would be a bonus here, but I'm just wondering if something that "specialized" would be something one would really want in their tank? Once it had eaten all the available "black cyano" in a tank, would they then wither away and die???

And... what exactly IS "Black Cyano"???

Maybe black refers to the snail, not the cyano?

That being said, there have been a lot of critters that are identified as eating cyano.. I haven't had much luck with any of them. Cyano happens. Feed less (and better), light less, increase water change frequency or amount, increase flow, absorb phosphates, and finally, wait- any of those or a combination will take care of it.

black cyano algae snail thingys???" What kind of description is that??? LOL. How about a species name so we can all get some??? Okay, to be serious now.....which I do on occassion....any chance of a species name or a link to a page with some info? It'd definately be a great snail to have!!

LOL!!! :lol:.
ok so the species name is turbo spp.
At first i was like what the ? with the whole black cyano but i think they mean black for the snail :p as it's black.

this is the info they got :p.

These snails stay relatively small and are excellent for grazing cyanobacteria, also known as Red Slime, that red carpet-like slimey coating that can sometimes blanket a sand bed. They also eat all sorts of other types of algae and I have kept many in my own tanks for years so they appear to be quite hardy and long-lived.

this is the website that have them, not sure if this is allowed :p.
http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Detail.aspx?ID=142

Maybe black refers to the snail, not the cyano?

That being said, there have been a lot of critters that are identified as eating cyano.. I haven't had much luck with any of them. Cyano happens. Feed less (and better), light less, increase water change frequency or amount, increase flow, absorb phosphates, and finally, wait- any of those or a combination will take care of it.

well said.

ohh yeah i totally agree with you, i had cyano in the past and took care of it.
I was just checking that website and saw the snails and couldn't believe it so i had to ask :p:).

Hey Gaby - If you decide to order, I could see getting a dozen or so and sharing the shipping would definitely make it less painless. Maybe you could start a thread in the PSAS forum to get a group order.

Hey Gaby - If you decide to order, I could see getting a dozen or so and sharing the shipping would definitely make it less painless. Maybe you could start a thread in the PSAS forum to get a group order.

lol!!! right now i can't but may be in a couple of weeks since we'll be moving into our new home:)...i could use a couple of turbos and astreas (or however you spell their names)

Back