black out sides of tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

beoks

I need to black out 3 sides of a 300 in wall all sides are clear. Any suggestions on how. i know someone used krylon paint, i thought about just buying black felt or sheet and velcroing it on?? any suggestions

shermin williams in ballard near 15th. they have a marine grade laytex paint called bond flex, its the best .

Spendy though, $65 a gallon , get a pint and thin it a little .

ARSA

I use oil based rustolium from the home depot, mix with mineral spirits, spray light coats on first and let it set for 30 minutes then spray more and do the same until you have a dark enough color then let it dry over night, Thanks Bobby 206 683 2462

I used cardboard painted black on my latest in-wall. It makes the tank easier to clean up for sale if you ever need to, and you can remove the peices for maintanance or simply to see whats growing out of site. Ive used krylon, latex, acrylic.......... Cardboard is by far the least expensive and quickest.

I always used the cheapo walmart brand spray paint it is only .98 cents a can. It took 3 cans to completly do a 6'x2' and 2'x2' area. Total cost was under 3 dollars.

i really thought about doing the cardboard or black felt and velco it on but i thought it might cast weird shadows or look odd. it would be nice to be able to look in the side and see whats going on if i need to move things around. Do you have any complaints with the cardboard??

Only when water get on it!, I have a friend that could make you a black back drop that is water proof that you can place on the back and sides. Thanks Bobby 206 683 2462

every kiddie pet store, like petco or petsmart, sells aquarium backgrounds. Some of them have the generic natural landscape, but there is one that is deep blue and the reverse side is black. You could tape it on fairly easily.

Do you have any complaints with the cardboard??
None a tall. I remove it when I want to scrape coraline on the back wall, retreive a hard to get coral the fell in the back, check out my corals from the back side (they actually have better color due to the way the flow and bulbs are) and to make sure that the powerhead behind hte rocks is still running. I'll probably never paint the back ro sides of another tank ever again. Especially a built in.

i didnt want to start another post so i thought i would ask in this one since its kinda the same.

What about painting the inside say the back is blue and you want it black? Is it possible to sucsessfully paint the inside of a tank? If so with what?

I really dont like blue and our new tank back piece of plastic is blue so the inside will have to be painted or we will have to leave it blue.

Back