Black worms

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

Although there are many good types of food and some great types of food I would like to mention a food that I believe almost no one (except me) uses to feed to saltwater fish. I am refering to live blackworms which are sold in just about every LFS (in NY anyway) but I find that they are rare in other states. :(
I know about the talk that freshwater foods should not be fed to saltwater fish and that is mostly true except for worms.
Fish will get into breeding condition in a couple of weeks by feeding live blackworms, how do I know? I have been feeding blackworms to fish to induce spawning and general good health for three decades. When I started in this hobby the only fish for sale were blue devils and a few other damsels. At the time I was also keeping fresh water and brackish fish so I always had blackworms. After just over a week of eating live blackworms, blue devils would start to spawn. I had one pair in particular that lived 7 years and spawned every few weeks by eating black worms almost exclusively. I also believe that they were responsible for my moorish Idol to reach almost five years old.
(he died in an accident) Blue devils, when sold are for the most part blue (duh) with clear tails. After feeding blackworms for a while some of the fish will also develop blue tails and these are the males. (personal experience) I don't know if they were born males or became males but since I have spawned many of them I know they are males. I do not keep blue devils any more but I never forgot what those worms did for the damsels.
I now keep mostly gobies (I get on a kich every now and then, now it's gobies) :cool:
Anyway, just about all fish will eat worms and you can see very plainly how healthy fish will become with this food. Copperband butterflies in particular will really thrive with them and I would not keep a copperband without black worms. ;)
The problem with most fresh foods like fish, squid, and scallops is that we are only feeding the muscle of these "meats" Most of the nutrition lies in the viscera or guts. In the sea, fish eat entire fish, not just the fillets. Almost all of the vitamin "A" resides in the liver of fish (Vitamin A in a shark makes up almost a quarter of it's weight in it's liver)
From my 40 years of diving I can tell you that most fish eat other fish, entire fish. Even tangs which are algae eaters pick up many baby fish in their quest for algae.
When we feed live worms we are feeding the entire worm, Worms are mostly protein and contain oil, not fat. Never having eating one myself (on purpose anyway :shock: ) I am not sure how much of what type of oil worms contain but I am fairly certain that they contain a good quantity of omega 3 oil.
I have been telling people for years that fish in breeding condition (which they seldom are in captivity) almost never contract disease. If you do any diving you can see the difference in wild fish as compared to captive fish.
Anyway, I will have to continue this later as to keeping, obtaining, and feeding worms.
I will have to finish this later if anyone is interested in keeping or feeding them. Of course Iknow that many people use them but I posted this for anyone who wanted some information on a great food source.
Have a great day.
Paul :D

Like blackworms I can dig up in my garden? Also if I can't find black worms what do you think about live (as it bait) bloodworms?

The Blackworms I am refering to are fresh water worms sold in a LFS not the worms you can dig up in your gagden but those also make very good food especially for eels, puffers and triggers. They can be chopped up for other fish and are supposed to be very healthy. You need to clean them first because of lawn chemicals etc.

Black worms are recommended for Mandarins as well. Great post! Thanks for the info, I would be interested in more info as I'm sure all that have Mandarin's would be. Thanks!

I have FW tanks (Discus, Rummies, Cardinals) so I always have these on hand - I dropped them into my reef a couple of years ago and the clowns went nuts - as did the shrimps, crabs and BTAs. They love them.

But my mandarin would rarely partake...

- Jeff

I am only posting this link to give you a picture of the blackworms. I know nothing about this site and have never ordered anything from them.
http://www.wormman.com/pd_california.cfm

Jeff I rarely have ever saw a mandarin eat a blackworm either, probably because the worms die so fast in saltwater.
I also feed these worms to shrimp and anemones and I would not try to keep a copperband without them.
I do not own a worm business and I don't know anyone who does. In NY the worms are available in any pet shop. I was just surprised that they are rare in other places, I always took them for granted and assumed that everyone used them.
Stupid me.
Paul

efering to live blackworms

I used them for years Paul. There is one word of caution though. Some fish will get stuck on them if feed to many and refuse other foods such as some angels. I use to also feed striped live earthworms, both sizes, glass worms, fariy shrimp( a FW lnda brine shrimp) , tubifex and Blood Worms.

Another site
http://www.cornerstoneweb.net/bettaworld/Black_Worms/black_worms.html

The Biology of Lumbriculus variegatus

http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/faculty/DrewesC/htdocs/Lvgen4.htm

Boomer I was sure you used them. Us...Um more mature guys know a good thing when we see it. It is true that some fish will wait for blackworms and starve even if other food is available, thats why i don't use them exclusively unless I am trying to breed something. (I myself will go for linguini and clams or fried calamari even if other things are available, but thats just me.) I also feed earthworms but the best are saltwater sandworms. I can easily collect them or buy them from a baitshop but they are almost a foot long and have to be cut up small. They will live in a salttank and even reproduce. They bite like hell too.
I think all worms make excellent food. I haven't eaten any myself though.
Paul

Last edited:
Back