Blackback Butterfly Compatibility

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

I'm looking at the next butterfly addition. Someone suggested a blackback butterfly. It fits all my criteria, but I have some concerns over aggression. I know that they're conspecific aggressive, but not to other butterflies. The conspecific aggression does extend to similarly colored butterflies. I'm wondering if my falcula looks close enough in coloration.

The Black Back can be an assertive fish but mine have usually been low on the pecking order. It should get along with the Falcula providing the Falcula is larger.

There are always the problem of personality -- the fish doesn't read the book on how it is supposed to behave. There is a wide set of possible 'attitudes' depending upon the individual disposition of the fish you acquire.

Well established Butterflies will become intolerant of each other if (for any reason) resources are lean or withdrawn. This is most prevalent amongst those that eat the same foods. That is, they should be: fed regularly, fed often, and fed in sufficient quantities.

Back