Bleaching RODI Holding Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcvicker

Loony Bin
I store RODI in a brute container in my garage. I generally set the filter up to run about 10 gallons of water once a week. I use 5 gallons in my weekly water change and the remaining 4-5 gallons I use for top off. It has been set up for over a year. Every 4-6 months I drain it completely and let it air out, but it has picked up an old gym sock smell. I know you can treat saltwater with bleach to sterilize and the saltwater will naturally clear the chlorine out. Does anyone add a couple of caps of bleach to their water to keep the container sterile? The container is totally clean inside visually. On a side note I am an engineer and we bleached our DI system on a quarterly basis to control algae. We would get small phytoplankton that would contaminate our process tanks if we didn't do this...
thanks,
chris

i couldn't give you a scientific answer to use or not to use bleach but, i clean mine out with a little bit of vinegar and water and a stiff brush and spray it out with the garden hose and dry it with a towel. I do this at least once a month so i have never had the smell you talked about but, it gets rid of the white build up on the sides of the container just fine.

I’ve dealt with things like that in my work with drinking water storage containers. I don’t know what you’re talking about bleaching but if you’re just talking about your holding container the answer is yes you can bleach it. And rinse it well before putting back into use. I don’t think you can bleach your rodi system without damage.

IMO bleach has no part in reefing and you should keep it as far away as you can..

u can eazyly clean it with other natual ways

drain it dry it (thats one)
drain it put your old water change water in there and scrub it then dry it and rinse

like i said bleach has no part in reefing.. at all its not even close to natural, salt water has a very high ph and makes great for cleaning

Back