Blenny injured eye.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cosmic_karma

Heylo All!!

I have a scooter shown in the pictures bellow that has injured itself. I introduced a peppermint shrimp to the tank, and my coral beauty got scared which startled the scooter and he rammed into some live rock. He quickly became stationary and started breathing heavily. When the swelling began it appeared to be the eye, but now it looks like the injury is just bellow it. The swelling has yet to get better, in fact it seems to be getting worse. All other life in the tank is perfectly fine. Is there anything I can place in the tank to alleviate his pain, or reduce the swelling?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Thank you,

Christina

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s75/wonder_woman_222/poorgeorge.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s75/wonder_woman_222/poorgeorge2.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s75/wonder_woman_222/poorgeorge3.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s75/wonder_woman_222/poorgeorge4.jpg

Last edited:
Those pictures look like something on the moon but generally injuries to the eye heal on their own with no help from us.

Popeye often happens when a fish scratches it's eye.

Like Paul said, it will usually go away on it's own. I'm assuming you are feeding a balanced diet of quality foods. If not, start now. Additionally, add vitamins and HUFA's if you aren't already. (Vitachem, Selco, Selcon).

I'm unable to open the last two photos for whatever reason (consider me computer challenged!). The first two are not helpful.

If you have diagnosed the problem as an injury then I can offer the following: Monitor the condition closely. If it doesn't noticeably improve in two days, then move the fish to a hospital tank and treat with an antibiotic. The injury is a prime opportunity for bacterial and fungal infections and you need to help the fish recover if it is not doing so on its own.

During the recovery be sure to give it the best foods and include some immune boosters into its diet: Immune Boosters.

Lee, does this help....at least to see the pictures....

poorgeorge3.jpg

poorgeorge4.jpg

Thank you!

Those pictures look like something on the moon but generally injuries to the eye heal on their own with no help from us.

I apologize for not getting the best pics, I just was weary of using the flash on him right now.

Thank you so much for your advice! :)

Popeye often happens when a fish scratches it's eye.

Like Paul said, it will usually go away on it's own. I'm assuming you are feeding a balanced diet of quality foods. If not, start now. Additionally, add vitamins and HUFA's if you aren't already. (Vitachem, Selco, Selcon).

George has a great diet! :eek:) He's grown so much since I purchased him. Although I have not been adding additional vitamins. I will begin this. Thank you so much for advice! :)

I'm unable to open the last two photos for whatever reason (consider me computer challenged!). The first two are not helpful.

If you have diagnosed the problem as an injury then I can offer the following: Monitor the condition closely. If it doesn't noticeably improve in two days, then move the fish to a hospital tank and treat with an antibiotic. The injury is a prime opportunity for bacterial and fungal infections and you need to help the fish recover if it is not doing so on its own.

During the recovery be sure to give it the best foods and include some immune boosters into its diet: Immune Boosters.

I do apologize for the dark and semi blurry pics, I was sheepish about using the flash on his injured eye. Thank you so much for your advice. I have actually been medicating with an API all purpose antibiotic called Melafix to prevent infection. I'm saddened to think I can't do anything but preventative measures right now, but greatly appreciate yours and everyone else's advice. Thank You.:)

Back