Blenny killing my Acan?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BackwerdsMan

So I've had this small Acan frag for about a month now. It was doing just fine, and then one day i saw it starting to turn brown. Checked all my params, everything was good. I have more than enough lighting for it. So I tried moving it to a place with lower flow, and lower light... as it was in a place in my tank that got the most flow and light.

Everything else in my tank is growing like mad. I'm completely frustrated why I couldn't figure this out. I was looking at it again today, and now more than half of the acan is brown. All of a sudden my blenny comes out and just starts ripping on the thing. :eek: Not just the brown part either, he was all over it.

has anyone else heard of this before?

I realize he would probably bite at the dying flesh of the coral, but he seems to just want to bite any part of it.

Last edited:
I have heard of a blenny eating acans before. That is a rare small chance, but more likely it is dying from infection and he might like the taste of the flesh as it's coming off the skeleton. If it got injured or stressed in any way, corals can get the dreaded brown jelly infection that can quickly demolish the whole piece. If there is any of it left, I suggest cutting off the bad parts to save the tissue that's left. That's just a desperation attempt and it doesn't always work, but I know that I'm thankful for the small pieces I've saved from dying frags/colonies, and regretful for the ones I didn't cut before it was too late.

I realize he would probably bite at the dying flesh of the coral, but he seems to just want to bite any part of it.

Whenever a coral is stressed/dying it produces slimy mucus, and often expells it's symbiotic algae. Fish tend to want to nibble at this mucus, and sometimes they realize that they really like it! Unfortunately, that can cause a fish to no longer be "reef safe" because they decide to start chewing on other corals to see if they taste just as good!

Depending on the species of Blenny, some are known for the high probability of nipping at LPS corals and/or clam mantels. For instance, Salarias species is somewhat likely to take a liking to some LPS or clam mantels. Personally, I've never had one become a problem, but I'm always cautious and watch them closely, especially around clams.

Depending on the species of Blenny, some are known for the high probability of nipping at LPS corals and/or clam mantels. For instance, Salarias species is somewhat likely to take a liking to some LPS or clam mantels. Personally, I've never had one become a problem, but I'm always cautious and watch them closely, especially around clams.

I guess knowing the exact species would be helpful. I just don't think there is such a thing as a reef safe species anymore, it all depends on the specific fish and what they are housed with.

I have had a tailspot blenny in with my clams and soft corals (shrooms, ricordia, zoos, etc) and he has never touched any of them. I am looking for a new home for him if you are interested. He is very healthy and 4 to 5 inches long.

Sorry, I already have one, but am starting to add Acan's to the tank. Thanks for the offer

Back