Blue/Green Chromis advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It's not a fish that one would like to acquire. If you got them from an LFS, return the one (if they let you). It will likely die or cost a lot to bring back to health.

If you got them online, then check into the guarantee the source may offer.

The fish is most likely suffering from poor water quality, either now, recently or sometime since it was caught/shipped. This leads to a likely systemic bacterial infection.

Perform water changes. Verify the water quality is the best you can provide. Obtain some Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes and use it according to the directions on the package.

That's what I thought!

I got it from Liveaquaria.com so I was very surprised as I have always received high quality live stock from them.

A few more questions:

- Is the infections contagious?
- Is it safe to assume that both have it?
- About the Meracyn Two, is it a long treatment? can you tell a little more about it?

Thanks a lot for your fast response Lee.

Last edited:
Unless the conditions (e.g., water quality, poor diet, etc.) persist that brought on the infection, then other fish should not get infected.

If the other fish doesn't show it, it may be safe to assume it is not infected. Was each fish in its own bag? If they were together in one bag, then I would suspect the other is or may be infected.

The Maracyn Two for Saltwater fish treatment is a 5-day treatment. It is easy to do. Just add it to the water in a hospital or QT and maintain the concentration of antibiotic when you perform any water change. You turn off all organic removing processes (skimmer, carbon, absorbing materials, etc.) for the time.

Back