Blue Holes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
Wonder what fish, corals etc live in a blue hole? In the Bahamas on an Island called Long Island, they have a blue hole called Dean's Blue Hole which is the deepest blue hole in the world. A guy I work with dived down in it and said it was freaky, but check how close the blue hole is to the shoreline there

Picture taken from wikipedia and the blue hole here is over 600ft deep.

w65pk.jpg

Here is a youtube video of a guy diving down in it!

Guillaume Nery base jumping at Dean's Blue Hole, filmed on breath hold by Julie Gautier - YouTube

Last edited:
That would scare the willys out of me. I hear some of those holes in the Bahamas turn green, then red and are very dangerous with methane in the water.

That would scare the willys out of me. I hear some of those holes in the Bahamas turn green, then red and are very dangerous with methane in the water.

Yea, I wouldn't fool around a blue hole. Just give me a regular beach :p. Was surprised though in the video clip with the guy diving down in it, you don't see a single glimpse of any life down there. That's crazy!

I watched that video and wondered if that guy had gills or sensational lungs. I would just take the beach.

Lol! I looked it up last night and it seems the record for free diving is over 1,000 feet!! I don't care where you do that, 1000 feet alone is scary!! A part from what you may encounter down there, you have all that pressure on your body and the deeper you go, the colder it gets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earl,

Wouldnt give me a headache, as my butt is on the couch watching someone else do this foolish stuff.

You got that right, Kirk. I don't like swimming in the ocean either, I just know that there is a shark out there with my name on it. When my son lived in Guam, we went to see him, he tried to convince me that sharks wouldn't come into the lagoon. I knew this wasn't true, because we use to see them in the back water of Guantanamo Bay when I was stationed in Cuba. I asked my son if they had a sign at the entrance of the lagoon "NO SHARKS ALLOWED". Well anyway he finally got me in the water and guess what I saw down toward the bottom of the lagoon, A SHARK! My wife knew I was nervous, so while I had my head looking down at this beautiful creature along with the rest of the beautiful fish and starting to relax, my wife comes up to put her reassuring hand on my shoulder, I didn't see here, and I about swallowed the water out of the whole lagoon. She scared the crap out of me, I haven't been in the ocean since!

Lol!! Well, we have quite a few sharks here. Almost every mean one out there besides the great white. I have picture on my pc that the Bahamas Defense Force took after they cut open a tiger shark done fishermen caught that spit up a human's leg in the boat. After cutting him open, there was an entire man in it minus the head. After some investigation, they found out that the person was a local fisherman that went missing a few days prior when his boat ran out of gas and he radioed in saying he would try and swim in. The pics were disgusting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the local dive shops in Guam had a T-shirt that had a couple of sharks leaning up against some rocks, picking their teeth with a toothpick, and bones lying at their tailfins,(made it look like they were standing on their tales. The one shark is looking at you with the caption "Send more tourists, they taste like chicken".

One of the local dive shops in Guam had a T-shirt that had a couple of sharks leaning up against some rocks, picking their teeth with a toothpick, and bones lying at their tailfins,(made it look like they were standing on their tales. The one shark is looking at you with the caption "Send more tourists, they taste like chicken".

LOL! Our sharks here would appreciate that very much :p

Wow, that is feaky, no thanks. AS noted by others, I'll watch some other crazy person dive it though.

Back