Blue leg hermit crab eaten

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wgregww

I have in my very young tank a clown, brittle star some crabs and snails. What would eat one of my blue leg hermit crabs?

yea i had the same problem i thought that my reef lobster had been killed but all it was he had molted the skeleton of the lobster was full size looked so real

Yah when they molt they look like a slightly paler version of a normal blue legged hermit, but without a shell.

its hard to tell some times if its a molt. (cause it looks just like them)

but the one thing that will let you know that its dead, and not a molt.

is there will be peace's of it, next to the shell that it was in.

molts are uselly just the body, attacted to a peace of rock. (so it stays as they pull outta it)

im sure its just a molt.

they are super hardy

A blue legged hermit will kill another blue legged hermit for it's shell so if you have more than one in your tank, chances are that's what could have happened. Infact, I see hermits in all sorts of shells here in the Bahamas in the wild...Even conch shells! :eek: They will as well take over snail shells as well so be careful...Sorry to hear about your loss:doubt:

Last edited:
Hermits will jack anything with a shell if you don't have spare appropiate sized empty shells for them to transfer to. i found this out the hard way when my hermits killed all my astrea to steal their shell!:evil:

Back