Blue Ribbon Eel!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
Hi Lee - I have a blue ribblon eel, at least it was purchased by someone else as one but it has the black with yellow stripe colloration. It is eating silver sides very well. I can now hand feed it. My question is what other food sources should i be feeding it or will silver sides be enough? Thanks!

Hi Steven.

The Blue Ribbon Eel (Rhinomuraena quaesita) is not often found for sale nowadays. I remember them coming through at an astounding rate a couple of decades ago

They are a difficult eel to maintain, demanding excellent water quality and care if they are to survive for any length of time. That yours is eating at all is a very good sign. In the hardiness scale they are usually rated as 'not hardy.' They have been known to get out of aquariums, too. The top/lid must be down tight to keep them inside.

They are carnivores. Particularly, they like crustaceans and fish (all alive, of course). Their diet should include fish, whole crab, and whole shrimp. Since it seems able/willing to eat frozen, give whole clam (no shell) and whole krill. A bit of scallop may be a treat now and then. Try to get away from a silversides diet. Silversides are not a good basic nutritious food for these eels. When you do feed a silverside, it should be stuffed with some vitamin and a fat supplement. Marine fish is a useful food.

Last edited:
Thanks Lee- I figured that about silversides. Would Mollies be better than silver sides? I will have to go pick up some whole krill tonight and see if he takes it. He has been good about not climbing out so far. He is by himself, so no other fish to make him nervous. I also put some plastic gutter gaurd over the top for good mesure. For the clams, are you talking about going to the store and picking up fresh ones, the taking them out of the shell( not cooked) and feeding.

I will post a pick of him eating tonight when i get home!

You're welcome.

Mollies are a bit worse than silversides. They bring in the wrong kinds of fats into the fish. I just performed a post mortem on a Lionfish that was fed mollies. The build up of fat internally (which it couldn't utilize or get rid of) is what killed it. True saltwater fishes don't have this fat so that is why they are the safe (albeit expensive) choice.

Regarding clams, stick to frozen as long as the eel will take it. I prefer fresh, but don't make it a life's project trying to get it fresh foods if it is taking frozen. You can get the raw clams (without shells) that are frozen for marine fishes.

You may want to try frozen foods that are for the 'predator' marine fishes. They have a mix of squid/octopus, shrimp, etc.

Mysis are too small for him. He wasnt interested in them at all.

Lee, here is those pics. Maybe you could determine if it is a blue or black ribbon eel.
Eel1.jpg

eel2.jpg

eel3.jpg

I have to also add a pic of my leopard wrasses! Thanks for all of the help with them as well Lee!
1reef1.jpg

i thought the ribbion eel starts blue and then changed to black when matured
leebca you should post your fiding on a mollie diet for predetors is bad because people often suggest feeding them to fish and eels i had also thought about it for feeding lionfish when i acquier one but will steer clear of them now thanxs for the info

Steven,

Morgan has it right. The immature Blue Ribbon Eel is blue with yellow outlines. As the Eel matures it turns black. In the marine 'industry' it was a big disappointment to have hobbyists learn their eel turns black from its original magnificent blue color. But also, not too many people got to see that since most die within a year.

From what I can see, the Eel in the photos seems to be Rhinomuraena quaesita.

Interesting to note that the Marine Depot reference you gave also lists the Blue Ribbon Eel of the same species name! I wonder how they explain that?

You may want to check some saltwater/marine data bases for more information. It's been a few years since I've even seen a Blue Ribbon Eel in home captivity. I had learned that they turn black as they mature. It may be that just the male or female does this change and it may be the other way around -- black to blue.

Like Lee had mentioned, this eel you not see many attempting to own for even those who done this for a few years or so in keeping one successful, you would find that a few things first must be in place.

Like for one, as larger a tank you can provide it with excellent water conditions at all times and one other thing with this type of eel is you not want your tanks temperatures to elevate to often and maintain it in between just a few degrees.

Also you not want to over stock leaving this eel as much free space with as many hiding places can be provided and a DSB is a must for this eel for it may want to dig in and also this eel when is feeding will be aggressive when hungry to other small fish in the tank.

As the problem here be is one day for either no fault of your own, this eel will starve to death and once this starts, you can do nothing other then trying to force feed it yourself. In which may prove to be a loosing battle>

Also as Lee said as well, this eel would rather have its meals live. So if you have the resources and can afford it, buy crustaceans and fishes that you can and start a small holding tank for this. This I would have to say as long you do all the other things in maintaining its tank perfectly and its a nice size tank at that, you might find it that you be able to keep this species a great deal longer to where most had failed.

Silversides? As long as the eel is feeding, you must move to other foods to offer it for silversides has no nutritional values to offer for your eels health. I just see as well as Lee is suggested this as well>

As lee also suggest to you on getting clams without shells, now this you must be aware that there be much risk involved for you really want the food as fresh as you can get it and best being that your an eel that is rather picky, you should get the food fresh for each feeding and not attempt to buy a freezer stock and you might also cause freezer poisoning.

This eel will go through a change of colors and even later in life or at some early stages of its life, will change its gender in which also changes colors.

You may want to check some saltwater/marine data bases for more information. It's been a few years since I've even seen a Blue Ribbon Eel in home captivity. I had learned that they turn black as they mature. It may be that just the male or female does this change and it may be the other way around -- black to blue.

Lee is correct on his views for this species> In collecting data from any number of links, you people must know that all list their opinions or copy from other links in which offers the least correct data on this species.

Lee`s quotes on this topic is right on :)

Buddy

Back