Blue Spot Jawfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BBoley24

I just wanted to post a personal thought today...

I really enjoy the blue spot jawfish. I don't own one yet but I love the mannerisms of the little guy. I did some research on his origins and it's a pretty cool story! I understand why he so expensive and sought after.

My issue is that I do have a rimless tank thus cannot contain him in my main display. So I think I will setup a small pico for him in the future because I just can't resist the spectacle and antics that he brings!

What are your thoughts on a 3-5 gallon pico tank holding this guy? I would put other things in there as well like nudibranch and other not so moblie critters. His natural habitat seems to be pretty central. He would be spot fed and will have plenty of things to build a fortress out of. Do you consider this to be unethical?

A Pico sized tank would be very difficult to maintain propper water quality for one but...... If you were to plumb one into your main DT then that would not be an issue.

Cheers, Todd

I don't think a pico would have enough space for a jawfish. They move a huge amount of sand and create very elaberate tunnels to live in. IMO I would not put them in anything smaller then a 20L so they can create there tunnel network.

Why not make a screen for the top of your tank. I have seen people put little corner tabs on a rimless to hold the screen below the top so its not so noticable. It actually looks pretty nice.

I would caution you about nudibranchs. They are spectacular creatures but little is known about them and they tend not to do so well in a aquarium. Many species we don't even know for sure what they eat. They can also release toxins in to your tank and cause a crash. This is one of those groups of animals that are best left in the ocean.

Yikes! I had no idea about the nudibranchs!~ I usually keep lettuce to take care of my aptaisia issues but have never kept the larger ones.

Back