blue spotted puffer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Marty1971

Hey all,
I purchased a blue spotted puffer recently, it's sitting currently in my quarintine tank the last 2 1/2 weeks. It eats like a beast and looks good with the exception of brown dots on it back top fins, not the tail but fins it uses to move about with, they are brown not white, like 3 or 4 of the dots. I am not sure if they are decoration or if it's ich or what, it not on the front fins at all. If it's ich, I want to start treating it but not positive if it is. It does not do anything that shows it ich, been there since we got him. He swims good and otherwise looks good, what does everyone think?

David

I'd do CryptoPro - aka Quinine treatment. Remember its 6-8wks of QT after no sign of parasites.

There are many species in the Canthigaster family that are called blue spot or blue dot puffers or Tobys. Included are solandri and Epilampra. They have many color combos to the spots. I seriously doubt you should worry, probably decoration. If the spots reproduce, then take action. Be sure to give it a diet of varied inverts such as shrimp, squid, clams, etc. and keep the water clean.

A picture would really help :)

There are many species in the Canthigaster family that are called blue spot or blue dot puffers or Tobys. Included are solandri and Epilampra. They have many color combos to the spots. I seriously doubt you should worry, probably decoration. If the spots reproduce, then take action. Be sure to give it a diet of varied inverts such as shrimp, squid, clams, etc. and keep the water clean.

A picture would really help :)

Ditto!!! Give us a pic :) that'll help us determine if its normal for the fish or something you should just keep an eye one.

Often with clownfish you will find over pigmentation in their fins from them rubbing on stinging corals they shouldnt - I'm no fish expert, but it could be some sort of pigmentation issue like that as well.

Those are not the characteristics of Marine Ich, nor of any parasite I've come across so far. Most like its coloration. While we wait for photos, watch the spots. Do they change in size, shape, or color? Do they move around, come and go, or are they always there in the same place?

Sorry guys, I tried to get a picture of it but I only have a phone to take the pictures and can't get a good picture of it, the phone doesn't zoom in, even when he gets close to the front glass.

They are like in a row and are all the same size, have not grown or shrunk at all. They are also all the same color. I am trying to borrow a friends camera. They are always in the same place and never move.

Although a photo might help in settling your concern, I'd say the answers you've provided indicate they are a normal part of the fish's markings.

Back