blue xenias

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sx230

i was wondering if care for blue xenias is fairly easy.would be great if i can get general info recarding care and placement in tank etc.

Moderate to high lighting, moderate current. Will "wilt" at night when pH level goes down, don't panic. They seem to "feed" on DOM. I did seem to get a feeding response w/DT's oyster eggs, they completely balled up, I do that once a week w/ pump off. There is still a debate wether daily dosing of potassium iodide benefits this species or not. I put 2 drops a day in my 12 gallon set up. Otherwise, easy. I believe the "blues" are the Anthelia genera so hit a search engine to get more up to date info.

i tryed pumping xenias blue and it didnt work out i had it for about 5 days and it died and i had 400 watt mogals and 2 250 double endeds and they still died

saltwaterman22 said:
i tryed pumping xenias blue and it didnt work out i had it for about 5 days and it died and i had 400 watt mogals and 2 250 double endeds and they still died
I'm a little stupid on brand names w/lighting. Are those halides? Seems the blues are naturally situated in deeper water. I guess placement high under halides would fry them. Let me know. Thanks, Mike.

thanks for info i think i will wait before purchasing the ones at lfs looked healthy at first but after a couple of days did not look to healthy

by blue xenia do you mean Cespitularia (see my link to Cespitularia in the sticky atop this forum called "Fav links...")? Even if not, there is good Xeniid husbandry info there.

Regardless... most Xeniids are highly adaptable over a wide range of flow and light. Usually, more flow is better and less light is OK. Many will not acclimate well/at all to severe illumination such as oversized metal halides (exceeding 5 watts per gallon ballpark).

They also do not acclimate well to aged or heavily (over)stocked tanks. On the scale of Octocoral allepathy, Xeniids are very weak. They need to be added to tanks early and protected from severe chemical aggression IMO

Back