Boat trip around Brooklyn

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

There cones a time in a boaters life when he either dies or gets a larger boat. Last week we bought our fourth and probably last boat. It is a 27' Sea Ray. I got it at a steal and could not pass it up, and being we use the boat three or four times a week, there was no debate. I think my wife wanted it more than I did.
For the last 30 years or so there was never a discussion of what we will be doing on the weekend, we spend it on the boat tied up with our boating friends. I still have the smallest boat in the crowd though.
We bought the boat on the south shore of Long Island and our marina is on the north shore. To get there you have to go around the south shore, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens then to the north shore. The distance is 40 miles and about a third of that is in the ocean.

The day was beautiful and the boat performed flawlessly except for loseing a fan belt on one engine under the Varazzano Bridge. I managed to get the belt back on as my friend drove the boat on the other engine. Thats not the place to get stuck. The area is a mass of oil tankers, cruise ships, high speed hydrofoil ferries, The Staten Island Ferry and cruise ships.
I have made this trip a few times with my various boats or just to take a trip to Fire Island which is out east on the south shore.
I am a lisenced Captain as is my friend who made the trip with me.

Here we are preparing the boat in Seaford Long Island in one of my friends back yards.

Boat003.jpg

The first thing of course was to get gas. Gas is a little cheaper here
P7170234.jpg

After an hour or so you pass Coney Island. That is the famous Parachute Jump which has been closed and made into a historic site many years ago. This was taken with a zoom lenz as we were a few miles out.

P7170237.jpg

An hour later you come up to the Varazzino Bridge which connects
Statin Island with Brooklyn.
I lost a fan belt under here.

P7170240.jpg

This is my other boat

P7170246.jpg

These guys are all over the place.
My Captains Lisence covers driving one of these also

P7170267.jpg

Then of course we come to the Statue Of Liberty, she was a little foggy that day but beautiful as always. Every time I sail by her I am reminded that my Grand Parents also saw the same sight over 100 years ago.

P7170262.jpg

Manhattan is always Manhattan. I worked there for 40 years as a construction electrician and worked on all of those buildings in the picture.
P7170274.jpg

Going up the East River which seperates Brooklyn from Manhattan you see many bridges. There are over 20 bridges to Manhattan and many tunnels. This is approaching Hells Gate a little farther up.

P7170279.jpg

We anchored to eat off of Historic Ft Totten which is not in the picture, then we continued east to my harbor and into my Marina to be greated by my family.

Boat003-1.jpg

Great pictures and commentary! Looks like an awesome boat. My uncle had a boat we used to take out on the lake, lots of fun hanging out on the lake the whole day.

Looks like that was an awesome trip. Nice find on the boat as well. We have a 21' seaswril and we spend alot of days just on the river here.

How can people live without a boat :cool:

This is the South Street Seaport. As a kid My Dad would take me there to buy fish, he had a seafood market. The fishing vessels would dock there and dump the fish right on the sidewalk. I would love to play with the fish. They would also have giant sea turtles alive on the sidewalk up sise down to sell for turtle soup. I use to climb up on them to play. I am so glad they don't do that anymore. At the time I didn't know what they were going to do with them.

P7170275.jpg

Last edited:
Back