Boiling Water, is it OK?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sealtagger

I’ve been wondering if it is OK to mix salt water and warm-up to proper temperature by adding boiling water to cold RO water made in the garage. I can’t see where this should be a problem, as least biologically, but is there a chemical reaction I’m not thinking about? Dave Sealtagger

I don't see how it could hurt. Just make sure the standing water isn't standing...Power heads, pumps, hand, mixer, etc, to stir the water quickly as it's combined with the hotter water...

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. Seems I have read somewhere that it's not a good idea to use warm water or hot water to dissolve salt quicker. Something about it destroying some of the trace elements that are in the salt. I have no idea where I read it though...lol.

You are boiling some RO water, and then adding it to the cold RO water (in the garage) to get it to the proper temperature, then mixing the salt in? That is OK.

But, if you are mixing salt with cold RO water (stronger than necessary), and then adding boiling RO water to bring the temp up (and salinity down to where it is supposed to be), then no, not a good idea. Some of the compounds in saltwater are less soluble at higher temperatures, and they could precipitate when the boiling water hits that part of the cold saltwater. Those materials may be difficult to get to re-disolve in a timely manner.

Back