boxfish/cowfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lactoria cornuta

Have you ever kept any boxfish/cowfish in your tanks?

Hi Csababubbles I have a Lactoria cornuta/ Longhorn Cowfish I have had it since it was a grape in size. If you decide to get one this small you need a slow current tank as they will get stuck to power heads or any strong flow device, This species grows real large Mine is now 4~5" after having for almost 4 years they get along with Wrasses,Tangs,clowns,Mine has over this time taken one bite out of a toad stool and a yellow leather coral. It has left LPS alone and Anomes alone.
Would not trust it with clams;)They have a great Personality about them they always watch you this one would require a large tank over time. Mine is in a 150 gallon Reef It is my Wife's personal baby I have to watch as it likes to bite me when ever I am working in the tank! This one Eats Nori,Scallops, Mysis shrimp and big prepaired foods
Lastly here is some eye shots
Hope this helps...Jeff

Last edited:
beautiful fish you got there Jeff. Do you have sponge filters on your powerheads to deal with the getting stuck issue?

I would eventually like to have one of the smaller species in my 125 tank in a few months so your insight on keeping yours is most appreciated.

beautiful fish you got there Jeff. Do you have sponge filters on your powerheads to deal with the getting stuck issue?

I would eventually like to have one of the smaller species in my 125 tank in a few months so your insight on keeping yours is most appreciated.

I installed a remote 20 gallon nano tank tied to the sump on my 150 In this tank I have small gobies and some pistol shrimp I put it in this tank till it increased it size to about 1 1/2"
This tank had no power heads in it, All flow was thru lock line fittings they are pretty slow growers so If you have a smaller tank you will have 1-2 years before upgrading to the 125 tank
Good luck...Jeff

Back