brands of retuurn pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

burning2nd

lets talk about return pump...

my mag 7 is way under powerd after the journey back to the tank and the lag.

what do you think i should aim for (gph)... now im runing a mag 5 and 7 tethered together still not enough...

I want something reliable like the mag's what do you think i should look at...

oh and it has to be submersible

am at 1200gph.... and after the foot or to of vertical its not enough..

Im thinking of replaceing them with a mag 12 or 18

Is this on your 30 Gallon? If it is then a Mag 7 should be WAY more than enough for a return from a sump uless your sump is in another room. I am running a Mag 7 on my 75 and it does just fine. I am not a big fan of the Mag pumps just because of the noise that they make. I have an Eheim running on our 40 breeder and that is a good pump. It would be helpful to get a little more info such as tank size, where your sump is located and what you are trying to get out of this pump.

oh sorry ive not updated my info in a while....

this is a 75aga RR with a 45g breeder sump... the 7 and 5 are not even close to max spite the 5 feet of horizontal and 4 feet of vert, Ive only ran Mag pumps. Never had a failure or any noise that i considered to be loud, but then again ive got no backing to compair....

what else should i be looking at thats sumersible and gives me about 1600-2k of gph?

Mag pumps are very reliable but are considered loud and put off a good deal of heat. I have heard good things about Ocean Runner pumps. They have one that is pushing 1700GPH. With 1700 GPH even if you lost 50% of your flow due to head pressure and pipe sizing it still gives you 850 GPH or about 11 times turnover which is WAY more than the 3-5 times that is common for a sump.

thats what i thought... Ill wait for some more opinion's on pumps.... but ill aim for 1700ish

What is the diameter of your return line? Perhaps you could use a Mag 12 and increase the diameter of your return line to minimize the head drop of your pump.

Or you could use an Eheim 1262.

2 to 3 Times the volume of your tank is one school of thought for a return gph .
This way you can have the skimmer really process all the water from the tank being skimmed off the top.

My opinion- Mag12 through 1" PVC. Only because I've used them in the past and know that I liked them. I'd steer away from the Mag18 if noise is an issue as there's a big difference in noise with the Mags once you go above the 12.

On the noise part...

I just got a mag 9.5 for my return pump for the 75 gallon.

It was noisy as far as vibrating until I put a piece of pond liner rubber under it.. that helped a ton.
Its still a lot noisier as far as the water coming into the sump itself.. it comes down a drain pipe that is 1.25 pvc and the water sort of churns and chugs :cry:

Back