Bristle worm good or bad?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeepfish

hey all i have had my 14 gal bio cube up and running for about a month now and a new friend has decided to show him self its about a 5 or 6in bristle worm. I currently have a hand full of snails a coulple hermits a coulple mushrooms and a clown in there and am wondering if i should be worried about the well being of the rest of my tank. i have done some reading on it and althought i know that its a benefical scavanger i know it can be harmful if it gets to big. whats too big? and what else should i look out for?

I'd be curious as to who is saying they are "harmful if they get to big". Like Sid said, great detrivore. I've seen one in my tank around 5-6 inches as well. Those things get into places you can't imagine. I'd leave him be and and enjoy him. As long as you are sure it's just a bristle worm and not a bobbit worm, you will be fine.

thanks for all the help guys and after careful consideration i have removed the bristle worm, for one reason as soon as the wife saw it she would not go within 5 feet of the tank let alone getting her hand in it lol

thanks for all the help guys and after careful consideration i have removed the bristle worm, for one reason as soon as the wife saw it she would not go within 5 feet of the tank let alone getting her hand in it lol

HAHA, her reaction isn't unusual! I'll admit, I get the willies when I find huge ones. If I'm breaking down or re-arranging a tank, and find huge ones, I flush them. If I happen to see them in the tank, I let them go. However, I'm pretty cautious when I have my hands in the tank, if I'm moving rocks or such...

Back