Bristle worms and Sun Corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

surf_buddy

So last night I found 12 inch a bristle worm in my tank and it was in the mouth of one of my sun corals, pulling out shrimp I had fed it a few hours before. This is not my first experience with the him, it knows when I'm near, and it hides almost as soon as I notice it. The little bugger moves very very fast! Anyways, I want to trap it and move it to the refrigum. Does anyone have any clever techniques to catch bristle worm? Thanks - Mitch

Shoot not the best way to do it but I take a large snail shell and stuff some raw shrimp in them and I just wait for them to try to feed on it and bam suck them out with a turky baster. I'm sure theres better ways to do it like getting a bristle worm trap online its fairly cheap, but my way of doing it works for me so why spend the money on a trap.

Cool... I think it's too big for a conventional trap, and a turey baster too, but worth a shot. However, as soon as it senses me it takes off, so it will be interesting. I do have a baseball sized moon snail shell I use in my refrgum that could be tried out though. Thanks roscoe.

They don't scare me... I just wish I could have an understanding with it. Move to the fuge and I'll feed you (Mr. Bristleworm) more, so my corals can grow.

hmmm i dont know how much it is but aqaurium paradise has this rock that they make where its drilled and the cut and you fill the inside with food and the worm goes in and you can pull the rock out because it feels safe. its a real rock too.

Well ith thats the case just get a peice of rubble rock you have and drill holes in yourself and save a trip and dough to the sto fo sho!:lol::lol:

You can use a half soda bottle to cover and feed the sun polyps. Lots of things will steal food from them and most bristle worms don't harm anything.

True, but and but I'd rather have the worm in an area where I can observe it more often, and not have to worry about it stealing food. Also, it's not that it was steeling food, I seen shrimp and fish stal from them, but the way it was stealing food. Physically crawling into the coral's mouth very invasivly, which really bothered me. Besides I can let the worm grow as big as it wants in the fuge.

You can use a half soda bottle to cover and feed the sun polyps. Lots of things will steal food from them and most bristle worms don't harm anything.

this has worked for me. take a tea bag and stuffit with food. wrap another t bag around that one so the opening of the new bag is were the bottom of the first one was. repeat if necesary .finaly tie a string around the cord so you can quickly take it out. i like this because the worm will have to move around and around each t bagto get to the food so it forces him out completely and you dont kneed a long awkward tube thats hard to set up and eaSIly moved by other critters. hope this helps

this has worked for me. take a tea bag and stuffit with food. wrap another t bag around that one so the opening of the new bag is were the bottom of the first one was. repeat if necesary .finaly tie a string around the cord so you can quickly take it out. i like this because the worm will have to move around and around each t bagto get to the food so it forces him out completely and you dont kneed a long awkward tube thats hard to set up and eaSIly moved by other critters. hope this helps

DJ Tryrd... this is a great suggestion. Fishing for Bristle worms, I like it. I can't wait to give it a shot. Thanks!

Back