Bristleworms

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Almondsaz

I know that bristleworms are beneficial to the reef systems in that they consume detritus and theoretically don't go after living matter. Is that true when they reach large proporations? Say 10 inches or so?

I have been missing a lot of hermits and snails and end up with empty shells, could the bristleworm be the culprut?

post other live stock I will be able to help you out with this as it may be a fish snails more then likely are getting eaten by the hermits mainly for there shell. as the hermits grow there shells do not may be the reason for the loss in both and if there is a preditary fish in the tank then the crabs will get caught out of a protective shell and is now food.

lizardarm: I did have a predatory crab in my tank about a year ago and removed it, haven't seen a sign since. BTW when the crab was in the system I didn't have the empty shells that I have today. And yes, I do have a bristleworm that is at least 10" long - my second one that I have found.

lvsuckerfish: I have the following inhabitants in my reef:

emerald crabs (2)
Queen Conch
Fighting Conch
Mystery Wrasse
Ornate Wrasse
Male Leopard Wrasse
Yellow Tang
Kleins Butterfly
4 Green Chromis
4 Bangaii Cardinals
corals (LPS/Softies)
Anemones
Clam
Tuxedo Urchin
Serpent Stars (2) 1 large and 1 small-med.

The mystery, while prone to possibly going after the inverts hasn't touched one of them He will eat the hermits if I put them in the tank when the lights are one, but if I introduce them when the lights are off no problems.

Oh, and I do have a coral banded shrimp and peppermint shrimp.

I got a video of this beast tonight, now I just have to send it from my phone to my email and figure out how to post a video. I have to admit that it was fascinating to watch....even in flashlight lighting. Longer than I thought also.......

The stars may be eating your snails and hermits. Also hermits will pull snails out of thier shells to look for a bigger home as they grow.

Likely not the bristleworm. Had a VERY large one in my tank when I lived in FL and never hurt anything...

I don't really believe it to be the bw either, nor do I think it is the serpent stars. If I had brittle stars - like a green then I might think it possible as they can be opportunistic when they get large. Still puzzled as to who or what might be the culprit.

Back