Broken Brace on upper acrylic 125 gal tank.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

msavary76

Hey everyone im new around here. My wife and i just bought a used 125gal acrylic tank. We noticed after the money was exchanged that the brace on the top of the tank was cracked. Do anyone know where can can get this fixed at or even maybe fixed it ourselves?

Here's how a friend fixed his. Hope it helps :)
yna6e8u3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Hey everyone im new around here. My wife and i just bought a used 125gal acrylic tank. We noticed after the money was exchanged that the brace on the top of the tank was cracked. Do anyone know where can can get this fixed at or even maybe fixed it ourselves?

Post a picture.
There are a few people around here that are pretty handy with acrylic that could offer repair tips.
You could even contact Jason at Clear Fabrications who is a sponsor here for a professional opinion.

Clear Fabrications

Ok let me explain the pic a litte. The picture is a picture of the brace on the top of the tank. It is cracked all the way through. Was hoping someone knew a company in southern california that could fix it or even maybe lending advice to us how to do it ourselves. :)

IMG_20130510_083815_511_zps5a099f08.jpg

The best way to do it yourself is to go to a local acrylic store such as Tap Plastics, buy a full length strip long enough to go from front to back of the tank in comparable or greater thickness plus a container of their recommended weld-on cement. Endure both pieces are very clean and dry. Attach to the underside and clamp together in at least 4 places until fully welded. Keep in mind, the tank might have other issues so best to fix and watch closely.
Ok let me explain the pic a litte. The picture is a picture of the brace on the top of the tank. It is cracked all the way through. Was hoping someone knew a company in southern california that could fix it or even maybe lending advice to us how to do it ourselves. :)

IMG_20130510_083815_511_zps5a099f08.jpg

I was thinking a 2 part approach.
One would be to use a weld-on glue in the crack itself, with a bar clamp, going front to back.
Then just a area patch in the shape of a tee, going 2-3 inches in all directions, with weld-on glue.
Looks like the tank has water in it?

If the tank is dry, I'd put the patch on the underside. If not, then on the top and clamp it up with 3 -4 clamps.

After having said that, I am not a acrylic guy, just someone that will try most anything once. lol

Both pieces of advice above look like a viable ways to repair the brace.

Ok thanks everyone. Im gonna brace it on top and bottom with weld-on acrylic cement #3 or #4.

Last edited:
I's start fresh and cut the top completely off then machine out a new top using a new piece of cell cast acrylic. If you have a router, and a nice flush cutter, it can be done. I have fixed a bunch of other company's tanks over the years. Best of luck, Jason

I'd put a clamp across the top to hold it as you do your repair. Then You don't have a fix with a bigger bow in the tank than befor

Back