Brown stuff on the sand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
So there is brown stuff on top of the sand in my tank, what is it how do i get rid of it?

I thought i read some ware it is some kind of algea but i also thought i read some ware its old food/poop?

Which is it?

29 gal tank
2 clowns
2 peppermint shrimp
lots of brittle star fish too

Bak Pak 2 protien skimmer/bio filter
2 korila #2s
about 20 lbs live rock

Most likely diatoms, part of the cycling process. Can vacuume most out as it grows.
Better circulation can also help

My tank has been up for about a month....never really had any cycle. I got the live rock locally so there wasnt any die off, i transferd it in wet towls. I also fed my empty tank to try to cycle it. So i added the two shrimp fed them but nver had an amonia spike, so two weeks later i added the clowns. probly two days after i added the shrimp i got the brown stuff.

Could it be bad water circulation? i think i need to move my pumps around.

Just a month old your cycling or hitting spikes & not seeing it, the bacteria population will increase to accommodate the new bioload on your system. Just because you have fully cured LR doesn't mean it won't spike, they usually hold these LR's in large vats or tubes to sell. When it sits idle like that no load on the LR so you get it cured but the population had to increase after you put all of the fish etc in it. This should be normal & in time along with regular husbandry it will go away.

Just a month old your cycling or hitting spikes & not seeing it, the bacteria population will increase to accommodate the new bioload on your system. Just because you have fully cured LR doesn't mean it won't spike, they usually hold these LR's in large vats or tubes to sell. When it sits idle like that no load on the LR so you get it cured but the population had to increase after you put all of the fish etc in it. This should be normal & in time along with regular husbandry it will go away.

Well the rock was not cured it was in some one elses tank and transfered to mine. The tank has been running for 5 weeks i think so a little over a month but not below.

So adding the fish and shrimp caused the diatoms? How long will it last will the fish be ok? Everything was fine up untill i adeed the shrimp and fish.

Well the rock was not cured it was in some one elses tank and transfered to mine. The tank has been running for 5 weeks i think so a little over a month but not below.

So adding the fish and shrimp caused the diatoms? How long will it last will the fish be ok? Everything was fine up untill i adeed the shrimp and fish.

Here is a pic of the set up i have...

I just moved one power head to the upper back corner it pointed down.

The other power head in on the bottm right pointed up.

Will this work better? They were both on the bottm of the tank.

There is more live rock in there then it looks it just fell when i moved the powerhead.

DSC00711.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fine, just needs some time to mature.
You will observe many things happening along the way. You will get purples and pinks as coraline algae grows. Little shrimplike creatures such. Different plant life and even perhaps sponges, snails and stars will show up. It can take many months, even years to reach full stability.

Looks fine, just needs some time to mature.
You will observe many things happening along the way. You will get purples and pinks as coraline algae grows. Little shrimplike creatures such. Different plant life and even perhaps sponges, snails and stars will show up. It can take many months, even years to reach full stability.

Well there are stars two kinds lots of brittle stars and onei cant remember what its called but its tiny, there are amphpods and copepods, there is a spunge two now actualy, there is purple and pink algea, I LOVE the pink! There is aptasia grr, and two feather dusters. The kenya tree is doing well too. So there is a lot going on in my tank, nothing has died or is dying even the aptasia. lol

If you look at the rock on the left it has a TON of algea!

Take that water flow adapter off that big PH, this will give you a wider & softer flow. These things restrict too much IMO.

Other than that, looking good, just give it time, IF you have a turkey baster, use that to blast water on the rocks to clear them, try & do that daily.

Take that water flow adapter off that big PH, this will give you a wider & softer flow. These things restrict too much IMO.

Other than that, looking good, just give it time, IF you have a turkey baster, use that to blast water on the rocks to clear them, try & do that daily.

Im not sure what your talking about with the whole water flow Ph thing? Im guessing its the L shaped tube thing coming off of the skimmer?

What am i trying to clear the rocks of?

Oh I should of spoke English LOL! Sorry!

Blowing your Rocks will keep Detritus off them & keep it in the water column, hopefully the skimmer can get most of it out before It becomes a problem.

After moving the power heads around (PH he he) i see the sand has no more brown stuff, and after reading up on feeding clowns i realize i was feeding my clowns WAY too much! So i moved around the dirt on the bottm of the tank and blasted the rocks and then tested my water.

Stupid mistakes, i wish all new people didnt have to go through them i was so determand to not make any mistakes oh well thats life i guess. At least i tried!

High rang PH..8.0
Amonia..0.25
Nirite..0
Nitrate 20

Good, bad?

Watch the ammonia... it should be 0. But I'm guessing you're showing a trace because you moved around the sand bed.

Don't be surprised if the diatoms show up tomorrow again. Moving around the top layer of sand just puts them off for a little while. But I think you're on the right track... as your tank matures they'll burn themselves out.

You added stock before you should have. You might not see a cycle but your still waiting for your beneficail bacteria's population to grow. Adding stock slow there growth from having to handle a larger bio load.

Then i would get the powerheads lower. You want them to disturb the top of the sand without blowing a hole. This might kickup some debris but as tank matures this will go away. Also get a cross flow by placing the powerheads and either ends facing each other.

Then a few nass snails would help mix up the SB.

But in a new setup this would be normal. and might get worse from stocking methods. I wouldnt try and fix as it doesnt look to bad just get some more CUC and reduce lighting time with more direct flow would help.

Well i am due for a water change so i will be doing that today.

I have my lights on 10 hours a day for the kenya tree, how long should i leave them on then?

My powerheads are on opisite sides one is pointing up the other is pointing down.

I wouold like to get a clean up crew i think i'll a couple snails and a cleaner shrimp since i have a ton of brittle stars. Anything else?

Not familier with fish slang...SB? CUC? Im sure as soon as some one says it i'll remember but.....

Well i am due for a water change so i will be doing that today.

I have my lights on 10 hours a day for the kenya tree, how long should i leave them on then?

My powerheads are on opisite sides one is pointing up the other is pointing down.

I wouold like to get a clean up crew i think i'll a couple snails and a cleaner shrimp since i have a ton of brittle stars. Anything else?

Not familier with fish slang...SB? CUC? Im sure as soon as some one says it i'll remember but.....

Water changes are always good.
For Kenya, don't need as long a photo period, perhaps 8
Snails and little blueleg hermits are good
Think he meant Sand Bed and Clean Up Crew

Keep up the good work!

Back