BRS Dual Reactor and 5 stage plus 75gpd rodi unit.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefGeeker

I got the BRS dual media reactor and the 5 stage plus 75gpd rodi unit for my birthday! No more chemipure elite for this guy :der: (scamtastic). I have the reactor hooked up and running and I'm pretty happy with it and I was wondering if any of you guys/gals have done any mods to yours, if so what? I have not hooked up the rodi unit yet but plan on doing so sometime this week, is there anything I should know (tips/tricks) before I set it up? I have never had an rodi unit before so this will be a learning experience for me. Any help is much appreciated!

So I have hooked up the rodi in my spare laundry room, and man that was easy. When I first turned it on it the TDS meter read 2ppm in and 0ppm out. I flushed it for an hour and then turned on the TDS meter again and it said 0ppm in and 0ppm out? 0ppm??? Does that seem right? Is it because the in is after all the stages except the DI? The unit is running at 60 psi right now, what is the optimal pressure for maximum efficiency for this unit?

Something is not right. Your tds meter should be installed to either monitor the membrane , DI or complete system.

For membrane the in should be on the tap water side and the out before the DI
For DI In should be after the membrane and the out on the DI out.
For the whole system the in goes on the tap water side before membrane and the out on the DI out.

If you watching the whole system or membrane you should never see 0 on the IN. If your monitoring the DI you should see very low tds but not 0. You should only see 0 after the DI. Membranes are not 100% efficient so will never remove all TDS, that last little bit is the DI's job.

Don

It is only monitoring the DI in and out. It was reading 1-3ppm in when I fired it up but after the flush it was 0ppm in? Is it possible the DM-1 tds meter is not functioning correctly, or should I feel comfortable as long as it reads 0ppm out? Thanks for the reply Don!

I would not run it in that manor. I would monitor the whole system if I only had one tds meter. Your not at 0 thats for sure. I'd buy a meter to monitor the membrane. or Go get yourself a spare "t" and put it in line of the membrane IN and get a plug for when its not in use. Move the tester connections around as needed for checking individual parts. Look at the specs on your membrane. If its a 95% rejection rate and your TDS is 100 going in it should be above 5 going out. 95% spec would be if everything was perfect meaning temp and pressure. So reality is rejection rates are going to be less than spec.

Hope this helps
Don

If your looking for efficiency--least amount of waste water. BRS has a kit to add a second membrane that recycles the waste from the first membrane so it improves to a 1 to 1.5 ratio rather than 1 to 4g waste. Another benefit is generating 1 gallon every 7 minutes, very handy. I think 70psi is optimal but 60psi is bare minimum and 80psi max pressure for these units. I have mine filling a 65g vertical tank with a float switch and a ATO controlled MJ1200 on 1/4" line w/air-brake to the sump. No more buckets to haul...lol.

I picked up the T and plug from lowes and also got a 32g Rubbermaid can and cart so I can wheel the full can over to my tank. I am going to go out to my water box and turn up the pressure till my unit reads 70 psi thanks for the tip aquanaut! Also I will be looking into the kit to recycle the waste water, if you could post up a link that would be cool! I figured I made about 3.3g/hr so that comes out to 79.2 gpd so at least its doing what its advertised to do as far as the rate. I am also thinkin of adding a separate in line TDS meter to meter the water coming from the tap, would there be another handy place to take a tds reading if I got another dual probe meter?

Aha I found the kit and it takes it from 75gpd to 150gpd and cuts waste water by 50%! I am also going to get a couple float valves so I don't have to keep an eye on it. The one thing I would like some input on is whether or not I should get the dual inline tds meter or the single, is there another worthy spot to take a reading other than the tap water in, di in, and di out? It's only like a 5 dollar difference.

Back