BRS Security breech

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Those Affected have already been contacted and issue has already been resolved. Crazy how this happened over 2wks ago and it's now just showing up on the forums.

According to the security update that was published two days ago, the issue occurred between July of last year and the 30th of January.... Publishing the update two days ago would likely be why its showing up now... What did you see that indicated two weeks ago?

The outside cyber hacker intrusion was initially discovered on January 21, 2015 and the data compromise was contained and corrected on January 22, 2015. Further corrective action occurred on January 30th. This incident involved the name, address, telephone number, email address/user name, password and credit card information of some customers. The information DID NOT include SSN, personal health information or Fed ID. As a result, the personal information of some customers may have been potentially exposed to others. Please be assured that BRS has taken every step necessary to address the incident, and that we are committed to fully protecting all of the information that you have entrusted to us.

While we are continuing to investigate this incident, we do know that some customer data for customers who logged into the website from July 30, 2014 until January 30, 2015 may have been compromised.

I've had to replace three cards in that time.. I expect my letter in the next day or two, since they were sent out on the 18th. Yes, they found and corrected it two weeks ago, it was an ongoing thing for 6 months though. That is where I misunderstood your comment.

I got a call from Bulk Reef Supply this morning telling me I was in the group of people who may have had my card compromised.
But I already knew that as my cc company called me last fall and asked me if I was planning on flying out of the Philippines on such and such airline using the ticket I had just bought.

I've seen threads where people are getting all butt hurt about this. I think some of the reactions are pretty funny.
IMO, we as consumers are partially to blame.
We use these credits and post the numbers to websites that we really don't know anything about.
There are ways we can use to keep this from happening.
Plus, no matter how secure the card or website is, there is probably someone smarter looking to steal from us.

I love BRS, and this doesn't do anything to change that. They got hacked. The hackers are to blame. And yeah, the butt hurt is somewhere between hilarious and just depressing. Big.Boy.Pants

Plus after speaking with BRS, they said something about them paying for Experian's credit watch for a year.

Its not the credit card stuff that is the real problem, as you've seen, the card companies just negate the debt generally. Its the threat of identity theft and for that the credit watch is a really good idea.

Wow, made a few purchases from BRS with paypal, should i be worry about ?
Last few days i received 2 phone calls from area code 815, will these be BRS calling, i will google #
thanks for the info

Pay pal transactions are safe as far as credit card info goes as the breech would need to be on PayPal not BRS.
(BRS verified that on thread on another forum)

Wow, made a few purchases from BRS with paypal, should i be worry about ?
Last few days i received 2 phone calls from area code 815, will these be BRS calling, i will google #
thanks for the info

Not the same area code as BRS.

I'm getting flooded lately from out of state phone calls.
Lately it's been 2-3 a day.

Me too Marty, been getting quite a few calls, so far i have bloqued 3 different #s this week, hopefully my info was no taken
But you never know

Me too Marty, been getting quite a few calls, so far i have bloqued 3 different #s this week, hopefully my info was no taken
But you never know

well when you get on those lists the telemarketers have, it's hell getting off them.
I know all about the no call registry, but it's the shady telemarketers that don't pay attention to them.

Back