Bryopsis in a mantis tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BARRON

I have a 8 gallon tank with a peacock mantis that is starting to get a bunch of bryopsis, I threw a cleanup crew of 10 blueleg hermits and 10 cerith snails, I found all their shells in a pile in the morning. I was hoping he would leave a few to keep cleaning. Any ideas on how to deal with it?

have you already tried spiking the magnesium with tech m, or do you have no idea what i'm talking about?

I've heard about it before, do you think the magnesium would damage the mantis shrimp, I also have some zoas and other softies.

Also if I remember right u are supposed to raise mg to 1400 ppm, is this correct or should it be higher to kill it off?

i don't remember the number, but when i did it i had it up over 2000. thing is, i had moved anything worthwhile from thr tank, only tried it to see if i could keep from having to re-cycle. i haven't read horror stories from people who spiked it, but every tank is different.

you are sure its bryopsis and not just gha, right? (the magnesium won't help if its gha)

I raised my mg with Tech M to approx. 1800 for 3 weeks to kill the bryopsis in 2 different tanks.

Over how long of a period should I raise the mg to that level? the tank normally tests at 1350-75.

There isn't a set time frame, but basically until a week or two after the bryopsis is gone, just to make sure it really is gone.

Now I'm second guessing if it's bryopsis, what do you think? It looks like bryopsis but it's a bit thin.
4ejyveme.jpg

feathery enough to make me think its bryopsis... but i'm on my phone.. wait on another opinion..

I do not post much, but I beat Bryopsis using tech M as well. There are different opinions on how fast to raise your mag. Some will say 100 ppm daily. Some will say get to 1800 in a 72 hr Period to Shock the Bryopsis.

I Manually removed as much as I could, Then used the 72 hr Period. I actually went to 1950 and held it there for 21 days.
Remember to get your water change Fresh Saltwater Mix to your desired PPM ( 1800 or 1950, or what ever you decide to do) so you do not have Ups and Downs during your treatment. When your treatment period is over, just use water changes to gradually lower your mag Back to your normal Levels , 1350.

Test daily, and you will beat this.

i spiked mine.. i was going with the 100 a day thing because if that doesn't work, you can always bring it back down and try spiking it. seems safer to use that as the second option.... but i don't recall anyone noting anything terrible with the spikes either...

My test says that the mg is 1600 ppm already, I'm going to retest it one more time but it may be possible due to evaporation in such a small tank.

After topping off with fresh water it dropped down to 1550 and then I boosted it back to 1650 ppm. Do u think it will work or should I first drop the salinity and dilute the mg and then raise it to 1800?

Back