bubble anenome

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

First off welcome to reef frontiers!!
By how you describe the anemone it doesnt sound good. if you can show us some pictures we could help you better too.

here are a few questions so we can answer your question.
What size tank? what kind and how many watts of light? how deep is the tank? what are the tank mates? and ofcourse what is your PH, alk, calcium, nitrates, nitrites and amonia at?? also where did you get the anemone and what lighting did they have it under?

Matt

55 gallon about 18 inches deep damsils,cleaner shrimp scallop clowns sea apple live rock and pollups all levels are fine i got it from my normal fish store 2 15 watts bulbs

Well, 15 watts just isnt going to do it, on a 55 gallon that anemone needs about 500 watts of light. preferably from Metal Halides. if you cant supply these lights for the anemone then they will not survive longer the a couple weeks in your tank...

I am sorry:(
but you have come to the right place to learn lots of good info.
study up and take your time....

Matt

What type of lighting do you have on your tank? Are you shooting for a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) or reef tank? If you're wanting a reef tank, you're going to immensely upgrade your lighting. You need to go with either 2X250watt Metal Halide lighting or a 48" 6 bulb T5 fixture. Without seriously upgrading your lighting, I doubt you'll have any luck getting anything other than your fish to live very long. Might consider taking the anemone back to the LFS where you purchased it and explain to them that you just don't have the facilities to house it. I'm sure they'll understand and if they're a very reputable pet store, they'll be able to recommend lighting for you. Although, if they knew your current lighting set up and sold you an anemone anyway, I would seriously question them as a source for information or further purchases. Another questions that I didn't see asked, are you running a protein skimmer? If not, consider that a necessary item as well for a reef tank.

Back