Bubble strings on clams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nebreefer

I have been fighting Pm with one of my clams for a few months. Has anyone ever seen long mucus like stings with bubbles coming off the underside of a clams mantle (it causes the mantle to pinch up just like pm). I have been blowing them off but they seem to reappear in just a few hrs. I do have alot of vermitid(sp) snails and i wonder if it is from them. But they seem to reappear to fast for that to be the problem.

Thanks in advance

I have been fighting Pm with one of my clams for a few months. Has anyone ever seen long mucus like stings with bubbles coming off the underside of a clams mantle (it causes the mantle to pinch up just like pm). I have been blowing them off but they seem to reappear in just a few hrs. I do have alot of vermitid(sp) snails and i wonder if it is from them. But they seem to reappear to fast for that to be the problem.

Thanks in advance

The easiest way to tell if its the snails is to clean the clam then blast your rocks. As soon as you rock blast the snails will do there thing.

Don

nebreefer - I remember my clam with PM doing a similar mucus slime. It would only occur in one area on my largest crocea (if my memory serves me correctly). I have lost both clams with PM.

Do the test Don has posted. Clear the slime from the clam, then blast your live rocks. The vermetid snails will be quick to get their mucus nets out, so you'll be able to see if the mucus is coming from the snails or the clam.

the mucus is coming from the clam. I fwd the clam and Yesterday he looked better but, today the strings are back. Maybe I wil try UV

I had UV running on my tank when I had clams with PM, and it did nothing to help the clams. IME, the fresh water dips only were beneficial for a week or so, then the clams would begin pinching again.

I'm new to clams. Are bubble strings bad? The one i just bought has a couple coming off of the mantel. Thanks.

Back