Building a new setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

flanz

Hello,

New to the group. I sold of all of my equipment about 8 years ago and I am going to jump back in. Miss the fish and the work of keeping a tank up and running. Question: I am going to start building a FO systme to start, around 125 gallons and then may move to a reef. I have been looking at LifeReef for my wet/dry filter and their skimmers. Any thoughts?

hello just need some help regarding an ro unit do i really need one can i just fill up the tank with tap water and then really let it run well for a month or so thanks let me know

Welcome to Reef Frontiers - flanz and tdksound2005!!!

flanz - I'm not sure if you checked out our Resource Library, but here is a link to Start-up, Tank Moving, and General Research. If you do have plans on upgrading to a reef, then I would plan the tank as if it was the reef set-up. Choose fish that will be in the eventual reef, as well as some of the equipment. How long do you think it will be FO, and will it be a fish-only with live rock (FOWLR)? Some people do not like wet/dry filters on reef tanks. As for skimmers, there are definately good choices out there. My personal experience is with Aqua C and Euro-reef. Both good skimmers.

tdksound2005 - IMO, RO/DI water is essential to a reef tank. There are so many "nasties" in tap water, that it may lead to a frustrating start-up. Depending on your local water's TDS, and what is present in the water will determine how bad or good the water is. If an RO/DI unit cannot be purchased, you can usually buy RO/DI water from a local fish store.

Hope this info is helpful!

Hey Flanz welcome to Reef Frontiers. I would have to agree with NIkki on how to approach it. On the life reef equipment they are top notch for sure, he has alway made high quality stuff. I would tend to stay away from the wet dry system, but if you really wanted it I would find one that could be easily converted.

take care

Mike

Danny D. just got a life reef setup. P.M. him and ask what he thinks. I really like it alot. Expensive, but very very nice. If you search for danny d you will find some pictures of it in operation. HTH Steve

Back