Bulb color differences

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jamiehill

Utini
I just put a pair of 250W halides over my tank a couple days ago. Both are running 10K XM bulbs. One of them is substantially more yellow than the other. What would cause this? The guy I bought them from said that both bulbs were 2 months old.

Thanks for your help.

Halide bulbs AND ballasts are all a little different, even if they are the same brand, model, age, etc. How much is "substantially" more yellow? Is one really white, the other really yellow? Have you tried swapping the bulbs, to see if each one looks different on the other ballast?

Halide bulbs AND ballasts are all a little different, even if they are the same brand, model, age, etc. How much is "substantially" more yellow? Is one really white, the other really yellow? Have you tried swapping the bulbs, to see if each one looks different on the other ballast?

That is the plan for tonight. Yesterday was the first full day I had them on. I was hoping that maybe they might look the same after being on a while, but it was still really yellow when I got home from work.

I agree...That should tell you a lot. Let us know how it goes:)

XM has a problem with some of their bulbs being yellow. I used to use them and for the first time I ordered them the supplier had to replace both bulbs. Second time around we got the true XM color bulbs. Then again the next year I only had to have 1 replaced.

If 1 is already yellow you may have a time getting anything but yellow from it.

Yellowing as Sue said is common at times with new bulbs not only XM but apparently more so than most others.

Heck, get a new bulb and keep the yellow one as a spare... or sell it to someone who wants to have it over a planted tank or a fuge...

I got home tonight and both bulbs are now burning the appropriate color. Looks like it just needed to burn in a little more maybe.

good deal Jamie. I've also noticed a color difference on my old 10ks when I rotated the bulbs so that the nipple was in a different position. Some people say it doesn't make a difference, but I swear I've noticed a difference when I did this..

sounds like you've got it all figured out, but just in case it isn't how you like it, may want to try that.

Back