Bulk Head Leaking

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

melsmom

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but MAYBE someone here has a few good ideas. I have a 90 gallon tank that we put back up this past weekend. there was a broken bulk head (there are 2 but one is capped off) so we replaced it. filled it. sand, rock etc...and now....drumroll....it has a leak. :( Not a big one, but one none the less. the tank is on an oak stand with holes for the bulk heads to pass through, but they are a bit off center so that just "tightening" them wont work. Thought about draining corner over flow and using aquarium silicone to just glue them...? or do I have to drain this monster? I dont want to lose all the water, as we just put it in, and for some reason I'm thinking that this isnt good for the fish? ( 2 clowns ) idk. can anyone offer a great idea that may not nessisarily mean draining it? Other wise, off to town to buy trash can liners for the garbage cans to save as much water as possible.
Oh, also is there a way of doing this, draining...that wont upset the tank much? meaning fish, sand etc...

Thanks

With bulkheads you will need to tighten them some. Not over tighten with a wrench or anything, but rather by hand. Do you have the gasket on the right side of the bulkhead?? Here is a thread that may answer your questions for you. It was just posted about a week or two ago. Let us know if that helps any. If not, we can tackle it a bit more here:)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f14/bulk-head-trubble-60405/

Probably going to have to get it dry...

I had a bulkhead issue with my tank build, when I redid it, I first got some silicone and put a thin layer coating the gasket. I also put some silicone in the threads. Then screw the nut down tight (don't remember which side the gasket goes on, I can check when I get home or you can look up on internet. Outside I think though?)

You want to get it snug, but you don't want the gasket to 'mushroom' out. With silicone on the threads, it actually lubricates it so you can just do it with your hand. Careful though, as you can actually overtighten it very easily without any tools. Silicone sets, and it should be hassle free. Sorry you have to redo it >.<

Maybe there is some way to do it without draining the tank? Just have to get the area around the bulkhead dry.

The layer of silicone will be very thin, so it should cure fairly quickly

Thanks everyone. We did end up draining it...that was rough. Sid, I got liners and used your can. Worked out ok. It's drying now, and Yes, he did use the new one...so he says. lol The tank is filled up again, but the over flow is dry till tomorrow, probably late afternoon. Lots of power heads going and the canister filter plus skimmer. ( we ended up pulling the syphon tube off and then hooking it to a power head and placing in the bottom of the garbage can full of water. That was pretty ingenious considering I've had 4 hours of sleep worried all night about this! lol I'm sure others do it as well ) Thank You all for your help. I'll keep you posted if we fixed the problem. Fingers are crossed!!

sorry I missed that last message, a bit late now.

I think I did reuse the old gasket. I just made sure it was very clean, smooth and debris free before using it. Good luck, keep us posted. I'm sure it will be great this time. Lesson learned, eh? I had to drain my tank once too after setting it up. >.< Good luck

Ok, here's a question that I'm sure has been answered before about bulkheads but I can't find it. I have 2 of the schedule 80 PVC bulkheads in my tank. The external threads on these perfectly match 1.25" and 1" PVC, however the internal threads are only 3/4" and 1/2". It's not a huge deal right now but I bought some bulkheads online and they're ABS threaded and the internal seems to be 1" and 3/4" but the external threads don't line up with 1.5" or 1.25" PVC.

Are ABS and PVC threading different size? The internal size seems to thread properly but the external just doesn't thread. Is there an adapter or how do most people handle it? By using slip bulkheads and PVC cementing it?

I'd take them into a hardware store (lowes or whatever) and see if they can get you an adapter.

On my bulkheads, I had threaded on the outside (where the nut goes on) and slip on the inside. I didn't bother with PVC glue on the bulkheads, as I really don't care if the leak on the inside. Plus it is nice to be able to pull it apart if I want to change anything.

Actually, ABS and PVC are threaded the same and are both NPT (National Pipe Thread) NPT are tapered, to allow a seal, as they're tightened. The reason that bulkheads have different threads, inside and out, is because the outside threads are not NPT. The threads, on the outside of a bulkhead, where the nut goes, are not meant for any piping to be attached. Those threads are only meant for the nut to be tightened with. So, those threads are standard threads, which are different than NPT. The standard threading, is not tapered, as NPT is. Again, those threads are ONLY meant for the tightening NUT. They are not meant to thread any pipe or pipe fittings to.

Some of the better hardware stores (Ace, Mclendon's, etc) also sell flexible (rubber) pipe couplings/adapters (with stainless clamps)--I found an Ace brand adapter (it was either 1->1.25" or 1.25->1.5", I forget) that fit my flex pvc and then fit over the funky (not-1") bulkhead threads perfectly.
(And unlike the slip fitting inside the bulkhead, it's removable--if i ever need to service the over-flow pipe later :)

McLendon's is always a good place to bring a part and a few questions so you go home 'once' with what you need. We all have stories of multiple trips in a day to HD.

McLendon's was great when I needed the PVC bulkheads in a hurry. Thanks again everyone for all your help, it'll make it a lot easier when I redo the overflow.

Back