Bulkhead/standpipe assembly question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NewGirl

:confused:Hey there everyone,

I'm in the process of getting all my gear together for my first saltwater tank--it's a 150 gallon 48" x 24" x 30". It originally was an undrilled glass Perfecto tank and I've had it drilled with an overflow installed on the center back wall--holy crap, this was not cheap, lol. :lol:. I also had a durso standpipe and return assembly come with it along with the bulkheads. The shop that did the work said I should glue in the bulkheads by running silicone around the gasket, drop it in the drilled holes, then screw the nut on from underneath the tank. Should I silicone both sides of the rubber gasket, or just the side that touches the tank glass? (The holes are drilled in the tank bottom--geez, I hope I'm making sense, here--I'm kind of a moron when it comes to this plumbing stuff).

Anyway, that was my first question, now for the second. How do I go about assembling the drain and return pipes to the bulkheads? The bulkheads are not threaded--I was curious if I should just cement them right into the bulkheads or if there was some kind of threaded adapter I should use to allow them to be unscrewed for cleaning purposes? If any of you guys could help me out as to what pieces and parts I should get that would be great!

Thanks so much!

I wouldnt silicone the bulkheads at all, They werent designed to use silicone. Silicone will eventually break down the rubber gasket. Silicone wont bond to plastic or rubber. Also, if you need to re-seat the bulkhead, the silicone can "get in the way", and/or be a pain to clean off.. If installed properly, bulkheads shouldnt need silicone, unless the holes that were drilled have some flarage, or chips where the gasket sits. I have been reefing for 17 years, and have been doing tank set ups for at least 10 of those 17 years, and never have leaky bulkheads. I have over 70 bulkheads in my shop now and none have silicone, and none leak.
Just remember that the gasket always stays with the bulkhead flange, and opposite the nut. It doesnt matter if its on the wet side or dry side, but always opposite the nut. If you can get a good hand grip on the nut and if you have a little strength, a really good hand tightening is all you need. If not, hand tighten, and then no more than 1/4 turn with a wrench. Many people over-tighten, and then pinch the gasket, and end up with leaks. other causes of leaks are a little sand that got between the gasket and the glass. Be sure to see if the flange is smooth without any "burs" left from the molding of the bulkhead( Which happens VERY rarely)

You can either glue the PVC to the bulkhead with PVC cement, or trade those bulkheads for threaded bulkheads

Back