Butterflies for Reef Aquariums

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kebber1223

Has anyone had any success with butterfly fish in a reef tank? Are they forbidden because they eat certain corals like polyps or do they all pick at SPS and LPS corals? I would like to get a butterfly fish, but have been told and read that none are suitable for a reef aqaurium. Can someone advise on this topic?

Thanks

I have a copperband in my reef tank it has been fine. my lfs told me it is one of the
butterflys you will see in your lfs that you can keep in your reef tank

it all depends, fish are individuals and do what they want. i have a butterfly and an angel fish in my reef with zero probs. i do keep them very well fed and that helps alot. if i cut back on the feeding then zoa's start to get nipped

it all depends, fish are individuals and do what they want. i have a butterfly and an angel fish in my reef with zero probs. i do keep them very well fed and that helps alot. if i cut back on the feeding then zoa's start to get nipped

Perefectly said...All though there are some that are deffinently better then others, for the most part it is hit and miss and you wont know until you have that exact specimen. I have a heniochus in my 100gal softy that does just fine, but I have also heard horror stories about them in reefs. I would suggest picking up "Angelfish & Butterfly's; Scott Micheals". Normally there is some good deals on amazon.

Thanks, and good luck. :)

-augustus

Klein`s Butterflyfish?

Has any one had a Orange Butterfly - Chaetodon kleini Also known as: Klein`s Butterflyfish?
And how's was their behavior
Hope i didn't derail you thread Kebber :oops:
Thank you for any input
Jeff :D

I used a Kleins Butterfly to help clean up aptasia's and majano anemones in a tank I had.
Also on the menu was most of the button polyps I had in the tank.

Thanks for the Info Finn

I used a Kleins Butterfly to help clean up aptasia's and majano anemones in a tank I had.
Also on the menu was most of the button polyps I had in the tank.

I wounder if it would leave Red Bubble tip anemones alone?

Back