Butterfly/Idol deaths

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

These aren't the easiest to keep, four years is a great number, as far as what happened, only you would probably know that, too man variables to guess on this side. Personally I try to avoid fish that have been known not to do well in captivity, even when your the exception, Sorry for your loss, I'm sure you loved that fish, they are beautiful. Maybe SteveS would take a look for you & shed some insight.

WoW I see that lots of things changed, salt mix, removing sand, & did I get that right switching tanks?
I never seen large volume WC bother fish but changing salt mixes for no reason I had major problems, normally they recommend very slow & small changes for that. I did remove a DSB with success but I never had fish that sensitive either. EEL? Every eel I've see will eventually stress fish to say the least, like I said too many things going on at once again sorry for your loss, you did great for a long time with it, I take it you had plenty of coralline right?

Sorry to hear about your woe's Emily. I don't get much time to hit CanReef anymore.

I need to ask a few questions/some clarifications....

How large were these 3 fish?
How large was the tank?
How old was the DSB, how was it removed and what was done with the tank afterwards?
You mention the fish's belly cave between 2 and 8, did you see it evacuate it's bowels or did the gurth of the fish simply diminished unexplainably?
What was the fish fed other than the dried foods you mentioned? How where these foods stored and when where they purchased last?
Was there ever any sign of abnormal belly shape/buldging?
Was their swimming behavior, color etc normal?
What species of eel was added, was it QT'd first (if so how/how long) what type of shrimp was it fed?
Do you still have the eel, how is it's condition?
When you tested the chemistry was it tank or or newly mixed salt? I have used the new Kent salt and it test terribley skewed.
Where any of these fish treated for internal worms?

Cheers
Steve

4 years is the one of the longest times i've heard of an idol being kept in captivity... congrats on that part.

sorry for the loss. I love idols, but will never keep one unless i have a multiple thousand gallon tank.

Back