Buying fish blindly online

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tkmak

Hey all, wanted to see if anybody has had decent experiences or nightmares buying fish online. If so, and either way, which place?

I found two LFS's in my area that have decent stock, both inverts and fish. They have nice stuff, always clean tanks, knowledgable staff, care for the fish, nice equipment, incredible show tanks, no visible dead specimens floating around, no obviously sick fish, and no obviously diseased ones swimming around.

I am in the East Bay Area, California (Fremont) - if anybody wants to know - I am talking about Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas and Atlantis Aquarium Supply in Union City.

Trouble is, they don't always have what you want - and good places such as these, charge good prices (good prices = expensive). Being that I have usually stuck by "you get what you pay for" I suck it up and buy from them because their stock is good, they are helpful, and overall just nice stuff.

I have usually gone to LFS's and bought because I can observe, watch them eat, watch their behavior, inspect fins, gills, eyes, body size/body normality, friskiness, etc. Obviously I cannot do that online.

I have been recently looking for particular specimens and they don't have 'em, but I always see them available online, and incredibly cheap prices...

anybody have experience buying online? If good experiences, where did you go? How did they arrive, how long did it take to get them over shipping-shock? Quality and health on arrival?

Thanks all.

Last edited:
I live in the Los Angeles, CA area and have visited and bought from several marine life wholesalers. When in their store I see boxes with pre-printed online store names on them.

That is, the fish are drop-shipped from the wholesaler, on behalf of the online retailer, in these cases. The online supplier never saw the fish you got.

Just keep the above in mind.

Lee is right but also remember, it DOES matter which online vendor you purchase from because how they handle the customer service end of the purchase is what differentiates them. So even though different companies get their livestock directly shipped to the end customer without ever seeing the product themselves, not all of them have great customer service and good "guarantees" of the livestock.

That's why I like LiveAquaria. Even though they buy most of their drop shipped fish from the same company as many other vendors (Quality Marine), they have excellent customer service to back up what they sell. I think thats why most people are loyal to them.

You're pretty fortunate to be living in Ca regarding livestock in this hobby. I'm in St Louis Mo, and we dont have the selection or availability you do with LFS. There are some good ones in the area, but alot of my livestock has been purchased through the internet.

The two online vendors I have had excellent experiance with are:

LiveAquaria/Diver's Den, (WYSIWYG)

and

Phishybusiness

Between the two of them, you're gonna get great customer service, and the livestock will be healthy.

I have been ordering from the two companies for well over two years now with no issues from them on the customer service side of things.

Blue Zoo Aquatics is another one I will be trying here shortly I think...

Nick

I have great success with Wet Pets Hawaii who is a sponser on this site. His quarantine process is just as good as Live Aquaria. Also the prices are far better as well. There are others I'm sure that will agree with me on this one. Live Aquaria is still one of the best with Phisybusiness and Reffhotspot right there with them. I think LA has gotten wayyyyy overpriced!! Hope this helps. Tim

Can't say I've heard of reefhotspot.com. However, after checking their web site out, they seem very reasonable in price. However, I would like to know their quality of fish they ship.

Kirk

Back