buying fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

253 FISH

im looking to buy some fish off of online websites
where can i get good deals on fish,inverts i dont mind paying a certain price for free shipping but i wanna get the lowest price on fish,inverts and have a selection to choose from
let me know where i should buy them from?

thanks 253 fish

Why pay 3-4 X the price for fish ? The shipping alone costs more than most fish ! You can find quality fish at your LFS, heck, I've obtained fine fish even from PETCO..... Unless of course you are wealthy and just love to get rid of excess money :wink:
Case in point: Another member of this forum spent $100+ on a ORA mandarin purchased online (which is SUPPOSED to eat frozen food), and the poor thing is starving to death just as quickly as a wild-caught $16 mandarin purchased at a LFS.
And another point against purchasing online: You can't SEE the fish before buying !

Last edited:
The price difference between wild caught and captive bread has NOTHING to do with where you bought the fish. Captive bread ORA's are always more expensive.
Case in point would be: my LFS only has a 24 hour guarantee on SW fish purchases. Where as most on-line sellers have 15 days. Also our LFS doesn't carry a quarter of the fish I can find on-line. This is why most buy on-line.

Well, I've never failed to find a fish I sought at one of my LFSs, and never had one to die due to any other reason than an RO water problem I once encountered (all fish in the tank had been in there much longer than 15 days at that time & warranty would not have applied anyway because my equipment & over-trust of it caused the deaths). In this setup alone I have saved well over $100 in fish purchasing; that $50+ shipping will bankrupt you ! And not to mention the damage ORA can do to a bank balance ! Must be nice to be wealthy enough to be able to afford to buy online; but poor folks like us need the $$ for foolish things like food, utilities, gas, etc....
But I do prefer tank-bred whenever to price is not too much greater; I am for conservation !

Last edited:
Back