Ca and Mg high

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

titdirt1

Can anyone tell me why my Ca and Mg levels are so high? Ca is above 500 and Mg above 1500, used 3 different Ca tests and two Mg to be sure tests not bad.My pH is 8.3, dKH 9, specific gravity is 1.026, PO4,ammonia,nitrates and nitrites are 0 and temp is 77. I have 75g tank with 2 150w halides and 4 54w t-5's and a Bermuda skimmer I do 20% water changes every 2 to 3 weeks, use Pura-complete, I just started using I.O. reef crystals and I dose with ESV B-ionic (40mL Alk and 20mL Ca to try to lower the Ca a little). Have tons of neon green calaustrea(hundreds of heads, grows like mad), multiple torches, one very large frogspawn, a few leathers, muliple zoas, palys, and mushrooms. Is the high Mg and Ca a problem? noticed corraline turning white and some soft corals not looking as good as usual. Thanks.

stop dosing, you should only dose if you need to. water changes are not going to help lower your cal. keep testing for alk every other day to see if it drops and if it does keep dosing alk until you have the cal under control. im going through the same thing

Justin is bang on. I would add that you should test your mix water before you add it. See if you have elevated Mg or Ca in your current batch of salt.
If so, you can use some regular IO (typically low in Mg) for your next water change.
If not, just let it come down on it's own. As Justin says, dose only enough alk to keep the level up, and do not dose anything else.

If the results are true, MG & CA High, then dose alot of Alk to level it out. At your stated parameters you Alk should be like 14-15dKh

Back