Ca Dosing Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

C

CrankAddict

A couple of questions here. I currently have a 55 gallon mostly FOWLR tank with a fiew pieces of Ricordia. I had used TLF C-Balance 2 part Ca supplement for the past couple of months but I ran across Kent Marine's Liquid Reactor which is a one part Ca Buffer System so I am going to give it a try.

My first question is does anyone have any experience with this product and have any feedback about it.

My second question deals with math and dosing. I want to make sure I am getting this right and not overdosing. The instructions state that 1ml per gallon will raise calcium concentrations 33ppm and carbonates 51ppm. I assumed carbonates were the buffer aka Alkalinity/Hardness. So if I am doing my math right...

If my tank currently has 400ppm of calcium and I wanted to raise it 425ppm I would take the difference being 25ppm and divide that 33ppm giving me 0.75ml/gallon. Since my total water volume is 50 gallons I would then take 0.75*50= 37.5ml for my dose. Is that correct?

The instructions also state to only dose a max of 10ml per day until the target concentration is reached.

I just wanted to make sure my math is correct.

In my signature, are two great links for supplement dosing. One link is for recipes for Randy Holmes DIY supplements for Ca, Alk and Mg. The other link is to a great Reef Calculator. With the calculator, you enter your current levels, your desired levels, your water quantity and the supplement you're using. When you submit all of this, it'll send you to a page that will give you the amount of supplement to add. While still on the first page, you'll see a graph on the right hand side. After entering all your numbers, click on the graph. It'll show you where you are in relationship to where you want to be. Below the graph, it'll explain the most likely cause of where you're currently at and the best remedy.

Thanks for the info

Great resources I had already visited those links but unfortunetly they do not have the Kent Marine Liquid Reactor listed as one of the supplements.

-Jason

In my signature, are two great links for supplement dosing. One link is for recipes for Randy Holmes DIY supplements for Ca, Alk and Mg. The other link is to a great Reef Calculator. With the calculator, you enter your current levels, your desired levels, your water quantity and the supplement you're using. When you submit all of this, it'll send you to a page that will give you the amount of supplement to add. While still on the first page, you'll see a graph on the right hand side. After entering all your numbers, click on the graph. It'll show you where you are in relationship to where you want to be. Below the graph, it'll explain the most likely cause of where you're currently at and the best remedy.

Back