Ca Reactor Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tkmak

I posted this in another forum, maybe this is the correct place.

I have kept marine fish only and reef aquariums for about 15 years - but that was about 20 years ago. Everything has changed and I am about to dive back in. Done a lot of research and will be setting up my first reef tank in 20 years. 50 gal, 20 gal refugium, euro reef skimmer, pentair mech filter, 1/10 hp chiller, UV, 175 10k mtl halides/moonlight/actinics, 70lb live fiji rock.

Last thing... Ca Reactor. Was about to buy a Geo 612 Ca Reactor but I am pretty handy with acrylic and saw DJ88's DIY Ca Reactor on Melevsreef and am now planning to build my own. I understand the concept, the chemistry.

If I got things right, there are really two systems going on in a Ca Reactor - the main pump which recircs the water/CO2 over the media AND the pump and effluent system which takes the effluent into the aquarium.

There is a pH probe that goes into the media chamber - its to control the CO2 output in the media chamber via the solenoid - I got that.

The Main pump recircs the now acidic water over the media to dissolve the ARM - I got that.

Questions? The sump pump to the media chamber and the effluent out to the sump. Is that running continously? How do you control the amount of output? Is there a 2nd pH controller which controls the effluent/sump powerhead to stem the effluent flow based on tank pH?

How does one decide bubble rates, recirculation over the media flow rates, and flow rates of effluent back into the sump rates?

Help an oldie trying to learn new tricks here....

TIA

I built a calc reactor after DJ88's design. Works pretty well and not that difficult to do. Actually, working with the acrylic was fun and educational, though I will say that I would have someone else cut the acrylic to the correct size as cutting it perfectly straight and without lumps-and-bumps was tough.

So far it looks like you have it correct.

The in and out flow is usually continuous, though some people set their reactor up to a controller and set it to turn off the solenoid on the Co2 setup if the pH drops below some value. Even in this case, the flow is usually continuous. In this case, the pH probe is in the sump or on the effluent (rather than in the reactor chamber). That is how I run mine (no pH probe in the reactor, just one testing the effluent).

Usually the in/out flow is controlled by a gate valve on the inlet. Not on the out-flow as this would pressurize the unit predisposing it to leak. A gate valve works much much much better than a ball valve.

Deciding bubble rates and flow through rate is trial and error as calcium utilization will be different depending on how much calcium the tank is using. Usually via testing of effluent over several days. Upping the bubble rate and slowing the flow into the reactor will both drop the pH, increasing the calcium disolved in solution. The recirculating pump is also always on.

Hope that helps,
Mat

BC SLC pretty much answered your question in its entirety as far as I can see. I would point out some things for sake of simplification:

A Ca reactor is just a tube, (usually acrylic) where water, a calcium carbonate material, and CO2 are mixed together. Like you mentioned, the main pump just recirculates the water/Co2 mix throughout the chamber. The feed pump continuously runs water through the reactor body and out to the tank.

One thing I was not previously aware of, is that there are two ways to feed your reactor.

You can use a feed pump to push water into the reactor. This is the most common way. This causes the reactor to be pressurized. Not a big deal, commercial reactors are designed with this in mind.

The other way is to use a pump like an Aqualifter to pull water through the reactor. This results in less pressure inside the reactor.

Either way will work fine. Effluent rates are usually controlled by a micro ball valve. These are kinda annoying to dial in just right, but once set, you dont have to worry about them mocing on you...

I have a Geo 612 reactor. I dont use a pH probe for my reactor at all. Not the usual way of doing things, but it works for me. I test my system pretty regularly, and keep tabs on how things that way.

My system is 150 gallons, (approx) total, consisting of a 120 gallon display,55 gallon sump, (containing about 30 gallons or so, and a 20H tank attached as well. I guesstimate my total volume at about 150 gallons after displacment of rockwork, skimmer etc.... I several small SPS frags in the tank, and two clams, The Derasa clam is almost 10 inches in length, so its a big calcium consumer.

My reactor settings are as follows:

Effluent rate: 6 ml per minute. This equates to approximately 60 drops per minute, but since drops are not an exact measurement, I prefer to use the ml per minute rate.
Co2 is set at approx 30-32 bubble per minute.

This keeps my tank parameters at about:

Ca 400
Dkh 11

Nick

Hi,

After ready you guys advices. I have several questions if you guys don't mind. I just brought a used Schuran Pico Ca rx, ph controller, Gen-x CRM, 5lbs tank & solenoid. The pico Ca Rx has a maxijet 900 as the recir. pump. My question is does the Schuran Pico need a feed pump to continuously feed the water from the sump into the rx chamber? Also, after alot of reading, the Gen-x CRM seem to be dissolve at a lower Ph around 6.5-6.7. Is that seem to be correct? if you ever used the crm before. I have already built a small acrylic box to hold the effluent & the Ph probe. Last, I'm going to place the CO2 tank in the living/tv room...therefore, is there any kind of concern or procedure I need to take? thank you for time.

chinkie253

Last edited:
I am not familiar with your reactor, but in general the Schuran Pico material requires a lower pH to dissolve.

No worries about the Co2 tank in the living room. Assuming the regulator does not have a leak, the CO2 will stay in the system. Even if it filled the room with the windows shut, it wouldn't cause any problems. It is carbon dioxide, not carbon monoxide like you would worry about from a car exhaust or fire.

Hope that helps,
Mat

I am not familiar with your reactor, but in general the Schuran Pico material requires a lower pH to dissolve.

No worries about the Co2 tank in the living room. Assuming the regulator does not have a leak, the CO2 will stay in the system. Even if it filled the room with the windows shut, it wouldn't cause any problems. It is carbon dioxide, not carbon monoxide like you would worry about from a car exhaust or fire.

Hope that helps,
Mat

Co2 just like Hc will kill you slow and painless. A leaky bottle is a concern. The Pico does need a feed pump, as with all Schuran reactors they are best fed with a pull pump vs a pushing pump like a Mj.

Don

Hi,

Thank you for answering my questions I would like to ask what's a pull pump? Do you mean like Eheim model? Also, after reading a the provided instruction, the suggested water inlet rate is 7-60ml/min & after a little conversion that would come to ~1gal per hour max..that would be really slow right? Also, I dont believe there such a small pump for it...what do you guys think?...thanks

Chinkie253

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you for answering my questions I would like to ask what's a pull pump? Do you mean like Eheim model? Also, after reading a the provided instruction, the suggested water inlet rate is 7-60ml/min & after a little conversion that would come to ~1gal per hour max..that would be really slow right? Also, I dont believe there such a small pump for it...what do you guys think?...thanks

Chinkie253

"Pull" meaning suction pump like a peristaltic or aqualifter. You will need to either valve back or slow what ever reactor or pump you decide to use.

Don

Hi,

Thanks Don, I believe I can start setting up the rx this weekend or the next. I'll follow your suggestion, which was great. Hopefully Blue Sierra carry the Aqua lifter pump & the pre-filter otherwise I'll have to order from drs. f&s. I'll use the pump as a feed pump & hopefully that will work ok. Once again, thank you guys..have a great night.

chinkie253

Back