Ca Reactors: Post your bubble rate:flow:dkH ratios

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jrgilles

Hey all,

Looking into a calcium reactor. Trying to judge which one to get. After talking to Don, he said some are more effecient than others.

I was wondering if you guys who are using ca reactors could post some stats for me to compare, if you know them. Maybe in the format of

Bubble Rate: Drip Rate: dkh

So, for example:
Reef Octapus:
1 bubble per 2 seconds:60 mls per minute: 50 dkh

or something like that. If you guys know this data, it would be a huge help to me (and I'm sure others who are looking into Ca reactors)

Thanks!

Last edited:
While this would be great to have, it will differ based upon the media in use.....

I think the only real difference will be with the original ARM media since it dissolves at such a high ph. This would give a higher than actual efficiency.

Don

Don-
That is exactly what I was referring to. So to clarify, AFAIK ph for dissolution:

Korallith 6.2-6.5
ARM coarse (not extra coarse) 6.5-6.9
Rowa 6.4-6.6
Gen-X 6.4-6.6

Of course, there will be some level of variance between batches as well. Many, if not most, simply run their reactor to a low enough internal ph to dissolve whatever they are trying to (6.5 or thereabouts).
With this in consideration, you will not likely find anyone who has tested different reactors and logged the information you seek. But perhaps you will! I would love to see the data.

My criteria for media has been what else is in it. Consider this, among the other media information out there:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2003/short.htm

Best of luck.

Edit: oh, and don't forget that different regulators will allow different size CO2 bubbles, causing there to be a variance among the amount ingected at the same bubbles per minute.
D

Last edited:
I set my drip rate to about 1.5 drips per second. This is just based off the testing I have done to stabilize my levels. As far as bubble rate, I don't really have a set rate since I use a controller...so whenever the ideal PH is achieved in the reaction chamber it just shuts the solenoid. LOVE the controller!

I see how this could get complicated.

I guess if anyone knows the data (aka bubble rate: drip rate: dkh) just post it with what type of media you use AND what the reactor is. Would be cool to have it all collected as a reference if people know it.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get krisfals reactor, so once I set up, I'll add my data in for anyone who is interested. Seems like a good deal, and I'll post on its stats/effeciency once I get it up and running. It is a Reef Octapus CR140 dual chamber reactor (reverse flow).

This data would still be pretty awesome if people add their info over time. Would be a great reference to compare various reactors

Honestly, with a probe and controller, all you need to do is monitor your dKh and calcium levels(make sure they are stable at the levels you want the BEFORE setting up the reactor) then regulate the drip rate. No need to worry about bubble count or any of that. BUT you do need to make sure your PH in the reactor is low enough to be effective. I use ARM super small ground up media. Not the ideal media to use but it works. There is some media out there that contains higher mag numbers that I would love to switch to, just gotta wait until mine is used. Also, the bigger media is more preferred. I'm not 100% sure why so I'm sure someone will chime in to explain.

oh, and don't forget that different regulators will allow different size CO2 bubbles, causing there to be a variance among the amount ingected at the same bubbles per minute.

I set my drip rate to about 1.5 drips per second. This is just based off the testing I have done to stabilize my levels. As far as bubble rate, I don't really have a set rate since I use a controller...so whenever the ideal PH is achieved in the reaction chamber it just shuts the solenoid. LOVE the controller!

When and it will the probe dies your tank may be history. A controller is a failsafe not a controller.

Don

I see how this could get complicated.

I guess if anyone knows the data (aka bubble rate: drip rate: dkh) just post it with what type of media you use AND what the reactor is. Would be cool to have it all collected as a reference if people know it.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get krisfals reactor, so once I set up, I'll add my data in for anyone who is interested. Seems like a good deal, and I'll post on its stats/effeciency once I get it up and running. It is a Reef Octapus CR140 dual chamber reactor (reverse flow).

This data would still be pretty awesome if people add their info over time. Would be a great reference to compare various reactors

Its simple to compare the data and just get a general idea whether a reactor is worth investing in. I had the geo and a schuran pico.

Geo 1 bp second 60ml min ph 6.5 dkh 30
Schuran 1 pb 2 seconds 60 mil min ph 6.5 dkh 80

Those are the only two I have record of but its obvious that the pico was much more efficient. Besides less co2 the dkh was more than double. Meaning it could handle double the load. Or meaning it would require half the effluent thats lowering the display ph. Obviously not scientific data but enough to say the pico was a wiser investment.

Don

When and it will the probe dies your tank may be history. A controller is a failsafe not a controller.

Don

Yes...and hence the reason why you don't leave the CO2 wide open. You still should have a reasonably paced bubble count. But with proper maintenance and conistent monitoring, you don't need to be too concerned about the bubble count with a controller inline.

Oh and I have a Korallin C-1502

Also, hooking your reactor probe's controller up to an in-tank probe and controller is my failsafe. I have the controller set that if the PH goes below 7.5 in the tank, then the reactors controller shuts off completely.

Last edited:
Back