CAD TIA- 1220 skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
i picked one of these up the other day and am getting ready to build my sump. but i have no idea what water level it requires. anyone have an idea i would really appreciate it

8"

hope you got a really good deal, those are underpowered for the money when new.
400 lph of air = gutless for anything over 75g.
i normally prescribe 600 lph of air injection for every 100g of reeftank,
and sometimes that isnt enough.

:( thats not good news. i did only pay about 100. is there anyway mods i can do to make this turd atleast a lemon? im putting it on a 180 gallon lionfish and eel tank

oh shyte...
big eaters and poopers..
and a 180g...
its not sounding too good.
your best bet is to find a better pump that will fit,
like the sicce psk 1000 skimmer pump.
but getting it to line up properly in a skimmer body its not designed for is going to be hardcore..
may even require a little dremel werk. if the skimmer is in good condition, it's worth more than $100,
you might just want to eat crow on this one buddy.

OR!!!!

go buy a bog hog air stone from mojo at OBD, along with the alita air pump he uses,
and then use the existing pump inlet hole to accomodate a rubber o ring and put a pvc 1/2" nipple on it for a feed pump.
you would also want to put an elbow or a 45' facing up on the skimmer interior so the feed water didnt just go out the exit.
you'll have to dial it back, as that combination is 2400lph of air injection(good enough for a 400g), but you can adjust the air pump.
you will only be limited by the volume of the skimmer body, but it should be super easy to dial in the right power on the air pump.
then just use a maxijet 1200 for a feed pump.
done and done!

Last edited:
Thatd be a nice skimmer with the mod skimmy suggested for my big poopn tangs. What skimmy says sounds like the way youd want to go instead of making the skimmer try and keep up.

Back