Cal, Mg, and Alk, OH MY !!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

Over the last two weeks, my parameters have been like a roller coaster. It all started with me checking Mg level which was 950..at that time Ca was 400. Now, they are out of whack.

I did a 45g water change yesterday and as of today my readings are:

Ca-300
Mg-1100
Alk-14 (yeahI know very high)
pH-8.2 (calibrated Pinpoint probe today)

The only dosing I do is for Ca and Mg. I have NOT dosed Alk in several months and would like to know how it got this high. Normally, it is around 7 or 8 dkH.

I use Seachem Reef Advantage for Ca, Kent Tech M for Mg, and Seachem Reef Buffer for pH.

My corals look fine, cleaner shrimps and starfish seem fine.

My question is: At this point, I assume I should add buffer for Ca but not sure OR should I do nothing and let everything level itself out ??

Thanks.
Kirk

That's some crazy numbers! What are you using for salt mix Kirk and your salinity levels? Also, how are the dates on your test kits? Think they may just be giving you false readings especially if your corals are doing well? Kinda strange...I haven't seen Boomer on for a bit. Last I heard I think he was on vacation, but hopefully Mojo will see the thread. He's been a pretty big help here lately with helping members with similar issues. :)

Can you test your kits against someone elses? Thats where I would start.

IO Salt..

using bags of salt from Dennys Pet..maybe bad batch?

All test kits are ELOS..Alk and Mg expire 12/2012 and Ca expires 04/2010.

Get someone else to test is a good start..will do tomorrow.

OK, I went to a LFS who tested for Alk, Mg, and Ca. they used Elos test kits and the readings were consistent to what I had.

Alk-12
Mg-1150
Ca-300

With the exception of Ca being low, they were not concerned. So I have dosed for Ca and will check level tomorrow.

Back