Calc reactor Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I am finally installing a calcium reactor I have had for years. My question is: I want to put the co2 tank in my garage downstairs. That will require about 50' of tubing to get the gas through the floor and to the reactor. The solenoid will be controlled by my controller based on ph in the tank. My ph runs quite high due to a kalk reactor. The calc reactor should balance it out.

Anyone see any problem with that long of a run? I have found a co2 proof 1/4" tubing to get the gas upstairs.

the length of tubing shouldn't be a problem. Make certain you have a quality check valve on it though, as the tank will be lower than the reactor..... you want to prevent water from flowing back and ruining your solenoid/regulator. Good luck! D

There is no problem running the co2 that far but I would not use a typical regulator. Make sure you get one with a adjustable output. All the good hobby ones are not adjustable on the output side.
Your also going to need to run a cord for the solenoid valve. You cant move the solenoid valve far away from the bottle. It needs to go right at the regulator.
Normaly the proper way to do this would be to use low voltage not 110v. You could convert the the 110v to 12v with a couple of relays and the run cat5 or bell wire.

Don

My controller uses an x10 so distance will not be a problem on th power to the regulator.

The regulator does have and adjustable output.

My tank consistently runs over 8.5 ph due to the Kalk reactor. Everybody is acclimated and healthy at that range amazingly. It does not vary more than a .02 in 24 hours. My thought is setting the controller to shut off the co2 at 8.3 and on at 8.25. Does that make sense?

Really, I haven't heard that. What is the problem?
How do you control a reactor with a controller?

Last edited:
Really, I haven't heard that. What is the problem?
How do you control a reactor with a controller?

Solenoid valves create noise on the electrical line that interferes with x10. X10 is hit and miss, it works for some and is terrible for others. I would not trust it to control my tank or reactor ph. Hardwired controllers do not use x10. I assume you have a aquarium controller, not a ph controller. Most aquarium controllers offer direct connects that have made x10 no longer needed.
Another option is a x10 relay module that can be placed close to the controller and the run cat5 from that. I'd rather be safe than sorry when relying on a controller.

Don

Thanks everyone for the input! Now I need to figure out what i will do. I have an Aquacontroller II it only uses X10's. So far for the last 6 months it has worked flawlessly to control lights, pumps, Kalk mixing in the garage and water replenishment. I think I will try the solenoid on an X10 as a test without the co2 for a while and see how it works. If that does not work, I will have to buy more stuff.

Back