Calcium reactor feed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey All,
Trying to figure how much flow I need for my calcium reactor feed. It has a 3/8" ID connector. I want to use the output from my chiller return to the sump. I am running a mag 7 as the chiller pump and it has 3/4" flex tubeing returning. Does anyone see a problem with teeing off the 3/4" with a 3/8 or 1/2" line to feed the reactor? The chiller is a closed loop. Mag 7 in sump....through chiller and back to sump. Just trying to do away with adding a power head to feed the reactor.
Thanks, Scott

The only problem I have had with the T off method is maintaining a consistent feed to the reactor. In hind sight (and perhaps in the future) I would add a dedicated feed pump (a peristaltic pump) for consistent feed.

a peristalitic pump is awesome. i bought one for my shuraun reactor and it's been dead on for almost a year now. no deviations at all in the ml per hour and/or pH.

Yea I would have to agree with Matt and Reed. A lot of times if the feed line is tee'd off like that , a little build up in that line and it can reverse and suck instead of blowing and that id not a good thing. Been thier done that.

Mike

A dosing/parasaltic pump is obviously a great way to go. If you just want to spend a few dollars instead of hundreds you can do what I do. I feed off the pressure side of my skimmer (your return would work also) with a little jg fitting that I drilled and tapped right into the pvc. I then regulate it down with a sprinkler drip valve that cost $1 at HD. I let my cal reactor run with no restriction, so that everything that goes in can come out freely. It has worked like a champ using this method for quite some time now, and you dont have to worry about it backflowing because it can only drip back out since that part is where it is restricted.

most pumps

most pumps have a tap that just needs to be drilled through to have all the feed water you need. I have 2 jet stream reactors that are fed from my return pump with no problem. The only concern is you must shut down the reactors before servicing your return pump

Back