Calcium Reactor for Dummies?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyTemple

Hi Guys,

I've been dosing Kalk and Alk, suplementing for a year now and I think it's time for the next investment. I understand the jist of Calcium reactors and the premise of setting one up, but what I'm hoping to get from you all is advice on the easiest/most foolproof way to set up. I have a 125 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. Most of my corals are LPS but I do have a couple of SPS colonies. I'd say that I don't have a seriously high CA draw but that could change once I've figured out how to balance everything out.

What should I buy guys? What has worked for you? Thanks for the help!:D

Here is my setup:

GEO 618 reactor with Gen X large reactor media. This is a nice piece of equipment!! I also purchased a good CO2 regulator from here:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARIUMPLANTS_com_s_Co2_Regulator_The_BEST_p/co2-1.htm

Control of the CO2 is important, and the Clippard needle valves that come with this regulator are really nice. Also, the unit has a 3 year warranty. I also use CO2 for my planted freshwater tank, so I also have a manifold to split the gas.

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. I don't use a pH probe to control CO2.

Back