Calcium Reactor Problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JMacIII

I have a 200 gallon total volume system that is mostly sps; so it has a high calcium draw. I currently use a Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor.

My 1st mistake was buying a used reactor instead of new (I tried to save money but ended up spending much more over time with replacement parts). The 1st year the reactor worked pretty well once it was dialed in. But now I can't seem to get it to absorb the CO2. I had some CO2 leaks so I replaced the regulator, the line, and the whole inlet stem with bubble counter on the reactor.

Currently I am feeding way more CO2 than I feel I need but I am not getting a high enough alkalinity in my drip (only about 10-12). I do not feel this is high enough to dissolve the media. The eheim pump does have a problem while under pressure, it's loud for a eheim. I am wondering if my problem now is with the pump and if I replace it, things will work again?

So I guess I have a few questions for people out there....
1. Do people prefer calcium reactors or the drip method for systems of this size?

2. If reactors, is there a recommended manufacturer?

3. Thoughts on my issue and if replacing the pump will solve my problem?

I don't know if I should try this fix or give up and start over with a new reactor (I have already spent almost twice as much for a new one on this reactor).

I have a 200 gallon total volume system that is mostly sps; so it has a high calcium draw. I currently use a Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor.

My 1st mistake was buying a used reactor instead of new (I tried to save money but ended up spending much more over time with replacement parts). The 1st year the reactor worked pretty well once it was dialed in. But now I can't seem to get it to absorb the CO2. I had some CO2 leaks so I replaced the regulator, the line, and the whole inlet stem with bubble counter on the reactor.

Currently I am feeding way more CO2 than I feel I need but I am not getting a high enough alkalinity in my drip (only about 10-12). I do not feel this is high enough to dissolve the media. The eheim pump does have a problem while under pressure, it's loud for a eheim. I am wondering if my problem now is with the pump and if I replace it, things will work again?

So I guess I have a few questions for people out there....
1. Do people prefer calcium reactors or the drip method for systems of this size?

2. If reactors, is there a recommended manufacturer?

3. Thoughts on my issue and if replacing the pump will solve my problem?

I don't know if I should try this fix or give up and start over with a new reactor (I have already spent almost twice as much for a new one on this reactor).

can you clarify the highlighted above please. you are looking for a low ph to disovle the ca media and high alkalinty should be the result in the effluent

As long as your reactor circ pump is working, the Co2 is actually making it into the reactor and your drip rate isnt too fast then it should work fine.

To melt the media you need a reactor chamber Ph lower than 6.8.... If your drip rate is too fast then you need more C02 to keep the Ph low enough to melt the media. If you slow the effluent drip rate, it might fix the issues your having

To clarify, I am about 60-80 bubbles per minute in the bubble counter. My understanding it should be more like 10-20. I will keep dialing back my drip rate, and keep testing the effluent. Should the effluent have a 6.8 ph also, I am just testing it for alkalinity?

I just did some tests, it actually seems to be improving so I will keep monitoring it. My effluent has a ph of 6.6-6.8, and an alkalinity of about 18. When everything was running fine in the past my alk level in the effluent was about 25-30, but this is the 1st time in awhile it has been over 12. I wii check again in 24 hours.

Thanks for the help.

To clarify, I am about 60-80 bubbles per minute in the bubble counter. My understanding it should be more like 10-20. I will keep dialing back my drip rate, and keep testing the effluent. Should the effluent have a 6.8 ph also, I am just testing it for alkalinity?
I believe in a high demand system 60-80 would be fine. I quit counting bubbles years ago and can tell you that my geo 624 probably eats up more than 80 a minute but I have an SPS dominated 210. I use a milwaukee controller that opens a selenoid to let CO2 in until the Ph drops and then stops it until the Ph raises and then opens to let more in keeping the Ph between 6.6-6.8. The bubble rate doesnt really matter to me with the controller. Of course I dont want it to high because that's just wasteful.

The trick with a reactor is finding the happy medium of drip rate to CO2 injection if your not using a controller.

Back